1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinema Connection kit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tkrandall, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Nov 6, 2010 #1 of 50
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    When I called about the whole home upgrade, the rep said I would have to get the cinema connection kit. Looking at at DirecTV's site, that appears to be a wireless kit. From their site:

Kit includes a Linksys wireless adapter for connecting your DIRECTV Plus HD DVR to the Internet. This lets you enjoy our DIRECTV CINEMAplus service at no additional charge. MSRP $99.99.

Note: You will need to have an existing wireless router. Only one wireless adapter is needed for each HD DVR that you want to connect to the Internet. Actual model may vary. ​

I don't want a wireless setup. I just want an old fashioned wired internet DECA hooked up to my router on one end and to the the RG-6 network on the other. Is that no longer an option?

2. Nov 6, 2010 #2 of 50
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, two different things. The Cinema Connection Kit was previously called the Internet Connection Kit (a much better name in my opinion). It provides the installer with a stand along DECA Broadband Network Adapter and power supply to "bridge" the DECA coax WHDVR network to your home network/internet. One side connects to the satellite coax cable with a SWM splitter while the other side connects to your home network/internet via an ethernet connection.

3. Nov 6, 2010 #3 of 50
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
  4. Nov 6, 2010 #4 of 50
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The Cinema connection kit for whole home is basically the thing I've been calling "Broadband DECA" here. It's to connect your DECA network to the Internet. Coax on one end for DECA .. Ethernet on the other end for Internet. Electronics in the middle to do the conversion.

5. Nov 6, 2010 #5 of 50
    RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks Doug

6. Nov 7, 2010 #6 of 50
    latinkreationz

latinkreationz Cool Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    That Cinema Connection Kit is only needed if your router is not near a coax outlet. Most people don't have their boxes and router in the same room thus needing a network bridge to connect wirelessly. I am one of those that don't have a box and router in the same room. I use my extra bedroom as an office. What I did was just connect the DECA module directly to the outlet and then ethernet wire to my router. Of course doing it this way you need a power supply for the DECA module. Hope this helps.

7. Nov 7, 2010 #7 of 50
    RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I have my Router 30 ft from my DVR unit and it's coax connection. I have Hard Wired an Ethernet Cable from my Router to a Hub by my DVR and use this Hub to hard wire my DVR,Blu Ray player and Pioneer Receiver to my home network. Do I need the "Cinema Connection" kit?

8. Nov 7, 2010 #8 of 50
    schneid

schneid Godfather

Aug 13, 2007
    Not sure as what D* writes about CCK is confusing and the term Cinema Plus (C+) is confusing.

What I can tell you is that I have MRV/DECA. I too have an Ethernet Switch at my entertainment center for my BD, Roku, Media PC, Slingbox, DVR, etc.

My installer used what I presume is the Internet Connection Kit (IKD) which is nothing more than another DECA module with a power supply, a connection to my D* Coax, and an Ethernet connection into my Ethernet switch.

Don't know if I have what is called C+ but I do have VOD, TV Apps, and use DVR scheduler.

From reading above it does appear the CCK is used to wirelessly connect to your router.

9. Nov 7, 2010 #9 of 50
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Let's not mix up things here.
    The wireless connection is for those without DECA networking.
    DirecTV used to offer powerline & wireless options, but has since dropped the powerlines.

The DECA ICK or what is now called CCK, it still a broadband DECA, which "could be" used in conjunction with a wireless adapter to a wireless router, but DirecTV isn't going to do this at this point in time.
    The BB DECA is to be wired for them to install it.

10. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Thanks VOS and Doug. Either I am just being dense or the info on the DirecTV web site concerning the CCK is a bit confusing on the matter. I suspect they may just be trying to "not confuse" the average customer by getting too specific or technical. They just say you need this kit, and then the installer decides just what actual "kit" you need when he shows up.

Such lack of specificity, for an engineer like me, only backfires and confuses me more!!! :rolleyes:

11. samson521

samson521 Cool Member

Nov 8, 2007
    My Question is? can i buy the adapter from directv for 25.00 and install it myself. i don;t need staller to do that.

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Sorry, that is a very complicated task and requires many hours of extensive training :sure:

Reminds me of my first 'Protection Plan' experience with DirecTV (several years back) . The CSR said they would send me the unit by FedEx but they would have to roll a truck to finish the install. When I told her that I could plug in a receiver and hook up the coax cables, she became belligerent with me and stated I was violating the TOS and how DirecTV techs go through extensive training which I have not had.

I'm glad to see things have improved! :rolleyes:

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    There are very few people who have been able to have that done. In most cases, they are going to do a truck roll for $49 along with the cost of the unit.

- Merg

14. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I miss the old days (pre 2004 or so) when DirecTV seemed to be OK with self installs.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    As The Merg says, its very difficult to get an ICK from DirecTV without them requiring a $49 professional install.

But have no fear, ebay is here ... as you can find sellers of DECA ICKs there usually for just slightly more than the $25.00 DirecTV equipment fee.

I just bought one myself for only $28.00 total with shipping because I wanted the more stylish router-ish looking ICK instead of the current BB DECA dongle PS-18 combo.

16. jpx5

jpx5 Legend

Jul 24, 2007
    Central New...
    Do I need the CCK if I have MRV and an internet connection no DECA

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If you mean MRV running in an "unsupported" status on your home network, no

But for MRV using DECA, you don't absolutely need a CCK, but so the DirecTV receiver server/clients in the DECA cloud can access additional services like VOD, TV apps, Media Share, and the DIRECTV2PC application possibly being used on computers somewhere on your home network.

There are also other features in the works such as the soon to be released NOMAD "Sling" type unit and various IP control computer and Smart Phone apps. that will require a CCK as well I think.

However MRV alone will work just fine without it.

18. jpx5

jpx5 Legend

Jul 24, 2007
    Central New...
    thanks

19. Noresults

Noresults Mentor

Aug 25, 2007
    I guess I don't understand what is so difficult. Can I not buy the parts somewhere and hook it up? It can't be rocket science.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    ebay, CraigsList, or Solid Signal. However, the parts will cost more than ordering from DirecTV. However, you will save on the professional install cost of $49 that would be required if ordered from DirecTV.

- Merg