1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinema Field Trial Suspension

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Cinema Field Trial (private)' started by Davenlr, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1 of 31
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I think this is a good idea, as it just simply isnt working. No one is going to request an expensive movie (usually a spur of the moment decision) and then wait 1 to 4 weeks to watch it.

2. Jul 9, 2010 #2 of 31
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I wonder why they are suspending it.

Major reconstruction?

3. Jul 9, 2010 #3 of 31
    geaux tigers

geaux tigers Icon

Nov 10, 2005
    Greg,

If you can share with us why the trial is being suspended then it would be greatly appreciated.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I think my receiver hasn't called home from my last purchase. I got to pokin' around on my online account and noticed it hadn't been charged or credited, and I realized the phone line got borrowed when I needed it for something else. I will connect it and hopefully it will call in by then.

5. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Oh and in regards to the suspension...

I check here every day and it very rarely has a post seems like. As for me, the only movies that came in were lame IMHO except for a select few. I was going to watch A Single Man tonight but it wasn't a must see by any means.

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yeah, there's not much to talk about when the system isn't doing anything. I haven't had a movie download in about a month.

There's definitely some UTH that needs to be done.

7. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I had a movie become available last week that I haven't had time to watch yet, but I still have movies from the first week of the trial that have never showed up at all. In fact, I have far more movies in the Queue than I have had become available to watch (I think the total has been about four, across two receivers for what? Six weeks now?). Clearly there is some back-end work to do on Directv's end.

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Unlike many here I didn't have much difficulty getting movies in a timely manner.

Consistency was an issue and not knowing exactly how it was supposed to work was a problem, and yes I know that is a part of the CE process.

Example:

Selecting movies to place in the Que did NOT always yield in the same result. Some movies did download and end up in my playlist. Other movies just had a green check mark next to them in the ch 1096 list and had to be played from there by selecting it from the list and choosing play now.

We also could have used some guidance on when to expect movies to show up after we placed them in the Que.

I noticed that several of the movies showed up simultaneously with their release on DVD, this may have been a side effect of the testing program, but it would not be productive if DirecTV makes them available on the same day the DVD comes out. Why would I order PPV if I can get them on DVD?

I noticed DirecTV has made an issue of the 28 day window before Netflix and Redbox get the movies, but they fail to mention that Blockbuster is not part of that program and gets them as they come out.

The video quality of the movies was excellent. The audio was excellent but consistently required about 40% more "loudness" than normal. For comparitive purposes my normal volume level when watching a Blu-Ray movie is "28" for the movies on the program I was running "40-42".

If they get it running properly and with a good understanding of how it is supposed to work, I would probably use this as programming source on occaission.

9. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I wasn't given a reason, but likely wouldn't be able to share even if I was. Sorry. :)

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I was never billed (or credited - obviously) for the 2 movies I watched.

The only movies I were able to watch were the ones that were "checked" on 1096 and they became available immediately. None of the ones I put into the queue became available via download.

11. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Does this forum stay open or is it going away (for now/temp)?

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    What's a blockbuster? :grin:

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The forum will fade back into the woodwork in few days

14. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Unfortunate that they are suspending it.. they just added a pile of new movies!

15. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    So this the official word or does it say it at channel 1096? Will it ever come back? Will we be the testers if it does or a new batch? TIA :D

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The next phase will likely mean that you guys won't be involved ... It's more restricted in terms of your setup .. Heck, I don't even qualify myself.

17. Golfman

Golfman Icon

Dec 20, 2007
    Reston, VA
    While I was able to get movies downloaded from my queue, there was never any consistent or timely delivery. I would get 1 a day for like 5 days in a row but went as long as 19 days with no delivery.

IMHO this performance and the fact that I didn't have any real control of what was delivered and when made the present implementation unattractive as a commercial feature.

18. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I like the idea. If they can price it in at a Netflix rate with a 28 day delay from regular PPV, it would be a winner. I just don't think HBO/SHO/STARZ etc... would allow it to happen. Thanks Greg for managing this trial....

19. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    10-4 Thanks. I'm sure if it's set-ups they are after my one receiver, no internet won't be what they are after. :lol:

20. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Actually you might be surprised .. Once it cranks up again (assuming it does), then dialup only will be a major criteria.