1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinema Plus Confusion.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mborner, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mborner

mborner AllStar

Jan 11, 2011
    I just connected my HR21 to the internet via ethernet so that I could start accessing Cinema Plus content. I may be misunderstanding exactly what Cinema plus does. For example, let's say I missed Two and a Half Men on Monday night and I'd like to download it to my DVR for viewing on Tuesday. In the menu, I go to "all shows", "TV series", "comedy" and the show does not exist there. As a test, I searched for a dozen different comedies and none of them showed up. All I see are hundreds and hundreds of shows I've never even heard of. What gives? Am I misunderstanding what Cinema Plus does? I thought the whole purpose behind it was to be able to watch shows that you missed on the night they aired.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Cinema Plus is for movies, not TV shows. Cinema Plus is just their fancy name for Pay Per View.

Now we also have DirectV On Demand, DOD, but unfortunately you're still not going to find Two and a Half Men on there because CBS has no DOD offering at this time. In fact none of the big 4 networks do.

3. mborner

mborner AllStar

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I'm still struggling to try and figure out how Directv defines a "comedy TV Series" ??
    I mean, they're advertising "Over 400 of the newest releases PLUS over 6,000 TV shows and movies".

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    There is certainly a lot more than just movies on Cinema Plus, just nothing from any of the major networks yet.

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    DirecTV OnDemand (DOD) is now Cinema Plus (or CinemaPLUS, cinemaPLUS, CINEMAplus), or whatever it's called.

Obviously everything else you said was correct... :(

~Alan

6. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you "browse by channel", you will notice that each channel seems to organize their on demand content differently. I would imagine that DirecTV only uses the descriptions/categories provided by each channel, rather than trying to categories for each show.

I'm sure this is easier for DirecTV, but does make it difficult to do any searching for content accross channels.

7. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I dont know how they define what a "Comedy TV Series" is either and I went to the list and didnt recognize anything. For network shows you might have missed your best bet is the network webiste where they usually stream full episodes after a few days. For example the last new Two and a Half Men was on 1/17. That episode is on both CBS.com and Hulu.

8. mborner

mborner AllStar

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I have a better understanding, now. Hey, it's free, can't complain too much.

9. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    It's part of it, yes. Both DOD and PPV can be found under "Cinema Plus". However there's still the distinction that "Cinema Plus" titles are there and ready to go for you immediately while "On Demand" titles must be downloaded.

10. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Does that mean that in essence Cinema Plus is always broadcasting to you and your purchase just "unlocks" them? In other words you arent actually downloading anything with Cinema Plus?

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I don't see and (DoD) titling anywhere on Directv CinemaPlus :shrug:

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The whole thing is now Cinema Plus. The On Demand naming is gone.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/cinema

13. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    I have also been very confused with all this. Let me get this straight. Is there ONE service for all this now? PPV is gone? I don't understand what the differences are for these services.

"new" releases cost money and shows and other movies are FREE? Are they instant or do you need to download?

Thanks to the OP for this thread.

14. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    The names have changed, but there's still the traditional PPV satellite broadcasted movies that start every half hour.
    In addition, most or all of those paid titles are available to download (via internet)
    There are also a few PPV movies that get downloaded to your hard drive (as play now titles with a green icon) you still have to pay when you watch it.
    in addition, many networks have downloadable content, movies, shows.. That you can view for free if you subscribe to that channel.

Regardless if its free or PPV, the downloadable content can be viewable instantly or in minutes based on the speed of your internet collection. The progress bar turns green when you can start playing a partially downloaded show.

15. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    thanks, i think that helps. I don't know why they don't streamline these services into one format. Or perhaps its just me because I have never used the services.

Maybe just a matter of getting familiar?

16. mborner

mborner AllStar

Jan 11, 2011
    Cinema Plus is for those consumers that have internet connected DVR's. If you don't have a internet connected box, you still have PPV, it's just done through a phone line, instead.

17. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    PPV still falls under the Cinema Plus umbrella. There is no PPV, On Demand, etc., anymore, it's now all Cinema Plus.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/cinema

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Well they are always broadcasting on the PPV channels but there are select Cinema Plus titles that are also automatically downloaded to DirecTV's reserved space on your DVR for immediate playback. You don't have to "demand" them, they are already there.

19. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    The name "on demand" may be gone but it's definitely still an on demand model.

20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    PPV and On Demand functions are not gone. DirecTV has just chosen to call them something else, Cinema Plus. You certainly still have movies that you pay to view [PPV] and other shows and movies that you download when you want to watch [On Demand]. It's just a naming thing.