Circuit City Promotion: 10% Off With In Store Pickup. Found HR20 There

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by IndyTom, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 9, 2007 #1 of 21
    IndyTom

IndyTom Cool Member

Dec 8, 2006
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/home.do

This promo ends tomorrow. Use coupon code KAAP6MRA6Z

I took the plunge to upgrade my HD-Tivo, and despite written notes that I needed an HR20, the installer showed up with an HR21 this afternoon. He told me that their local shop no longer carries the HR20 (would have been nice if they told me that when I contacted them). I contacted DirecTV and they told me I would receive the same credits as if I were to buy it from them.

Anyway - just wanted to pass this along for those looking for an HR20 and wanting to maximize their credits with the Circuit City discount.

2. Nov 9, 2007 #2 of 21
    Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    You may end up with an HR21 from CC, too. If they're like Best Buy, they haven't updated their website and inventory both models under the same number.

3. Nov 9, 2007 #3 of 21
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Thanks for the heads up!

4. Nov 9, 2007 #4 of 21
    IndyTom

IndyTom Cool Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Thanks for the warning. I will be picking it up in the morning and will post what I received.

5. Nov 9, 2007 #5 of 21
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I was hoping to use that code to order some HD-DVDs online for in-store pick-up, but it appears that all HD-DVDs are marked "ship only". Wow. How customer friendly is that? :down:

6. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Tried it same day you posted this, but it said the code was invalid and could not be used for this product.

7. IndyTom

IndyTom Cool Member

Dec 8, 2006
  8. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I just did it and ordered one to be picked up this afternoon. My main concern is that it really is an H20.

I really need a DVR that includes an OTA tuner and had planned to replace my remaining HR10 next spring, but I am worried there will be no D* DVRs left that allow OTA tuning. So, I decided to go for it now.

SMK

9. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Stopped in my local CC Friday afternoon and found two HR20-700's on the shelf and no HR21's. Price was $299 with $100 rebate. No discount mentioned on sign.

My HR20-700 is working fine at the moment, so all I did was look.

Local Video and Audio store had HR21's advertised in the LA Times at the same price.

Bill

10. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Circuitcity has very small stock (quantities) of all they sell, your luck to get what your looking for, or if you do it's been returned and used. Good luck with them.

11. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    yep i picked up a HD-A30 on that 10% off and a 75.00 rebate plus two hd dvd s in the box and the five from mail in rebate .

12. mchrisco

mchrisco Cool Member

Nov 10, 2007
    what is the s model the site says HR20S

13. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk

The "S" stands for silver.

14. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    Hopefully the OP or other posters who mentioned they would try this are not swayed by this remark -- Everyone's experience is different, and just because you say so doesn't mean they'll have the same experience with CC it sounds like you did.

15. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I picked up my receiver yesterday afternoon, and it was the HR20 as I needed. Before I even opened the box I wanted to see if I would be able to get a rebate from D* for a locally purchased DVR.

I called D* this morning to see if I would qualify for the $100 rebate. The first CSR looked at my account, saw I had gotten an HR20 for free in July and said, "No way." So, playing CSR roulette, I called back. This time I did as others have recommended and said, "cancel" when asked why I was calling. This CSR had absolutely no problem giving me the $100 rebate. I didn't push it, but I bet I could also have gotten some programming credits. Then I told her I wanted to buy one locally to ensure I got an HR20 and asked if that would be possible. She said that would not be a problem agreeing that there was no way she could order one and guarantee I would get the HR20 and not HR21. She said she had put the rebate info in my account. She also gave me her employee number so someone could verify it if needed, and last, she gave me a special number with a PIN to get through to activate my box when I buy it.

So, I got my second HR20 for $170. I'll be setting it up this afternoon.

SMK

16. IndyTom

IndyTom Cool Member

Dec 8, 2006
    'Just a quick follow up. On Saturday, I went to pick up my HR20 that I had ordered online for the discount. When I arrived, the box was nowhere to be found. Turns out they had none - not even the HR21. CC has a "have your online order ready in 24 minutes or receive a $24 gift card" guarantee. Well they apologized and gave me the gift card for my trouble.

The manager of the store looked in their "system" and saw that they had 4 HR20s at their Lafayette, IN store (I was at the Carmel, IN store). Just so happens that their district manager travels between stores every week so the Carmel manager called the Lafayette manager to arrange the delivery of one for me - to this location.

I picked it up tonight: HR20-700. I have a hunch the Lafayette store still has 3 of these left for anyone still looking for one. Perhaps your local CC can get one of these shipped to you.

17. ZTerry

ZTerry AllStar

May 24, 2007
    Thanks for the info. When you state that "she gave you a special number with a PIN to get through to activate my box when I buy it", does that mean you could active the box by just punching in some numbers over the phone or that you could just give the numbers to a CSR or ? Thanks!

18. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    Circuit City has not discontinued the HR20 in their system. Best Buy however has. If people get really desperate you might want to ask your local Best Buy to sell you the HR20 display unit (yes they display a non-activated HR20) off the shelf at the open box price. I never understood by Best Buy and Circuit City took a unit to display if they are not using it to show the live product to customers. O well! Circuit City however should have HR20s for the foreseeable future (which mean probably next January they will be gone). Good luck!

19. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    The number and pin just allow you to get to a CSR without having to go through the entire menu options followed by shouting into the phone why you're calling and then waiting for a half hour to speak to a real person. (Or is that an oxymoron? Are CSRs real people?)

SMK

20. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    After I went to Circuit City to pick up my HR20, I went down the road to Best Buy for another reason and while there went to see what they had. All their boxed units were HR21's, but they did have an HR20 out on the shelf. I asked one of the managers if I could buy it to see if we could work out a deal. The best he would do was 10% off, or the same deal I was getting from CC, and the BB demo unit had nothing with it including no access card. I did not think it a particularly good deal.

SMK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.