1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

City of Philadelphia trying to legislate sat dishes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dhhaines, Jun 12, 2010.

1. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
  2. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I have to admit "Comcast" was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the city mentioned in the thread title.

3. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    claiming the entire city Historic isn't going to fly either.

4. mopzo

mopzo Legend

Jun 15, 2007
  5. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Apparently they have never heard of OTARD in Philly.

6. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Just more of Comcasts anti-competitive shenanigans.

They do have a bit of a point, however, as far as aesthetics go. It would be nice if DirecTV and Dish invested in technologies that would reduce the number of dishes that need to be installed, especially in apartment buildings.

Remember how CATV worked? Community Antenna Television? Something along those lines, with say, a single larger dish (to combat rain fade) shared by several households and situated in such a place that it wasn't visible from the street.

A big problem with that, I suppose, would be that building and land owners wouldn't want coax cables being run across their property. Well, phooey on them.

7. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    DIRECTV has several technologies for sharing a single dish. At CES and other trade shows, they can feed many receivers off one dish without problem.

The key is getting apt. owners to buy into that technology. Too often they'd rather not have to pay nor have individual dishes. So the customer is forced to resort to OTARD requiring the owners let them put up individuals everywhere. Sigh.

Cheers,
    Tom

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I wonder how Philly would feel about a lot of people putting up large OTA antennas? They are uglier than small DBS dishes.

9. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    A lot of it is the lazy installers and/or policies of the satellite companies. I have seen many houses here in Connecticut that have MULTIPLE of the SAME dish, typically P3's or Dish 500's. Have these guys ever heard of a MULTISWITCH?? There is absolutely no reason to have more than 3 dishes on a building: a DirecTV P5, a Dish 1000.2, and a Dish 1000.4, and that's for an EA market. WA markets should only ever have 2. After that, use a multiswitch! You don't need the building owner to pay for a system, just don't install SWiM LNB's on multi-family homes, and when someone wants service and the neighbor has the same service, use the same dish, or in the case of a new customer wanting HD, and the existing customer with a P3, take out the P3 and put in one P5 with a 6x16 feeding everything. It's not rocket science. If you need more than that, lock, split, and put a pair of 6x16's, and then you can feed a SWiM 8 of 3 off of that and run one coax to the newer SWiM compliant installs.

Regulating satellite dishes is, in and of itself, ridiculous, and illegal (OTARD), but a rule that if you don't have an active account with the satellite provider whose dish you have up, you can't have the dish up is a good idea. There is no reason to have "dead" dishes up.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    All that sounds good, but what happens when the shared dish has a problem? Who pays for the service call? What happens when one tenant shorts the system? What happens when a tenant moves out? Who pays for the switches? Who pays for the service calls when another serviceguy disconnects an active line from the switches? When another one decides to steal the switches? Etc.

Until you've dealt with all of those problems, you have NO IDEA how much maintenance such a shared system is, and the problem is that NO ONE wants to pay, and everyone points their fingers at someone else. DirecTV isn't in the business to pay for endless service calls.

Ultimately, it's up to the property owner to deal with that, and the don't want to.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Yeah, today we call it "cable."

12. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    DirecTV should show its appreciation for historic values by introducing a Liberty Dish, with a crack in it, available only in Philadelphia.

13. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    It might also have something to do that now Comcast is supposed to finally allow DBS access to CSC Philly, & Comcrap is worried that now that they will not have this to thwart DBS penetration in Philly, they're going to try it another way... :rolleyes:
    And since Vzn already carries CSC Philly, I guess they figured why not join in & fight off more competition as well... :rolleyes:

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I thought I would have problems with my dish because I live in the historical portion on my village. You should have seen all the hoops I had to jump thru in order to get my home built. But my dish went up without even a peep from the historical review board. I later learn that they consider a dish as a temporary attachment.

15. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    While I respect the concept of aesthetics it's the physics that matter. You can't get a view of the satellite from all four corners of a home. In Philly there's a lot of those rowhouse type streets where each residence is separate even though they butt up against each other. In this case, I don't think there's a common landlord since they're single family dwellings, right?

So unless all the homeowners ganged up to install a MDU setup just for their row, there's no way to keep from having multiple dishes.

Some of these residences likely have no front yard and little back yard for a dish to even be planted. The front face of the home may be the only option if the home faces south.

Ugly or not they are a legitimate means to facilitating access to television just like big long OTA antennas. Like it or not, they're a part of the landscape. Personally I find the hi-tech space-y charm of a dish in the back yard more charming than a black wire strung from a dead tree trunk in the yard. Now exposed power lines — THOSE are ugly. :lol:

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Comcast owns Philadelphia. They lost their voice in the Senate when Specter lost, but not city hall.

17. tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    Part of the problem is that lots of installers do not consider the aesthetics of dish placement. There are several houses near me that I just sigh because the dish could easily be moved to somewhere that is far less visible. Frustrating.

However there are some historic houses where Comcast has loose cables sloppily tacked to the side of the house, sometimes with splitters hanging from them, or hanging out of external boxes, so its not just unique to satellite installers.

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Anyone who doesn't realize this is a Comcast political play is not up to speed.

Having traveled to Philly for over 8 1/2 years....and worked out of offices there just as long....it is locally well known that Comcast has sought to strongarm offset losses in their home turf from the Sat providers for a long time.

This is just the latest ploy.

19. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    It's ultimately cheaper to have a single dish. The second customer could get a multiswitch from DirecTV for the same or less than a second dish, and the install would be a lot cheaper. It should be part of the agreement that if you live in a multifamily house and both tenants have the same service, then they share the dish. It only makes sense. If the dish has issues, they split the bill, unless one customer has HD and one doesn't, and it's only the Ka band that's on the fritz, then it's the HD customer who pays.

It would be the second installer's responsibility to make sure that the active lines are still active when he leaves. Mounting a 6x16 to the back of a dish should take care of all but the most extreme installs.

Yeah, well said. I've seen horrible Comcast, DirecTV, and Dish installs on new and old houses. I think there's a serious business opportunity for companies that make cable staples. :)

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Their Number 1, Senator Arlen, is out in January. They obviously need to develop new ways of holding their market share here.