1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clash of the Titans 3D Blu-Ray and others

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Chris Blount, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Lately I have been watching a lot of 3D Blu-Rays. It's been fun and here are a few of my notes.

First, do not waste your money on the 3D version of Clash of the Titans. The whole thing has been converted from 2D to 3D. It looks terrible and not worthy of a 3D release.

A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey on the other hand looks fantastic. Excellent use of 3D with lots of depth to please the eyes. Best motion capture I have ever seen as well.

Open Season has some pretty good 3D. I just wish the movie was a little better. The 3D version is definitely worth it if you like the movie.

The Polar Express is very good and translates well to home 3D. Looks much better than the anaglyph (red-green glasses) version.

I also got my hands on a few IMAX features as well - Grand Canyon, Dinosaurs Alive, Space Station 3D. All have excellent 3D. Grand Canyon is a bit preachy about conservation but still fun to watch. Dinosaurs Alive is kind of lame and much of the 3D is forced in your face.

I'm happy to see more 3D Blu-Rays coming to market. I'm not buying all of them, but will report my findings as I get them.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What's the best 3D title you've seen this far? A Christmas Carol?
    Also, what's your 3D setup?

I'm enjoying 3D so far. My free How To Train A Dragon should arrive soon.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Here's a review of Christmas Carol, http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/jeffkleist/kleist111810.html .

BTW, the IMAX:Space Station 3D title appears to be in 2D for the first 3:13 of the Blu-Ray. The question is did Warner make a mistake in the authoring of it or was it that way in the movie (I could swear it was all 3D when I saw it at KSC), folks are trying to get an answer from Warner on it.

4. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I thought it looked kind of funny. I will take another look. I also noticed that in a few scenes of The Polar Express. It's like it goes from real 3D to "faked". I tend to think it's deliberate for some reason.

5. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    It's a toss up. Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs and Christmas Carol. Both are pretty good. Monster House is a very close second.

6. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Yes, it was in 3D all the way through in the IMAX theater. There is definitely something wrong with the Blu-Ray. As you said, the first 3 minutes are NOT 3D.

I guess I need to amend what I said earlier about my favorite 3D Blu-Ray. Definitely Space Station 3D. It's great demo material.

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yet to come - Despicable Me is out December 14th....3D and other formats.

8. Dec 2, 2010 #8 of 30
    3dtvs

3dtvs New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    also the legend of the gardians comes out december 17th. I think 3ds going to be a huge market this year. lots of great movies coming.

9. Dec 2, 2010 #9 of 30
    Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I just wish they would knock off the exclusive crap. I managed to pick up (with a little extra money) a copy of How to Train Your Dragon and the first 3 Shrek movies in 3D off E-Bay. Will be reviewing those when I get them. The trick to getting those relatively cheap is to wait until the final 30 seconds of the auction and hope to hell someone else doesn't jack the price up before then. It took me a few tries but I got them for a reasonable price.

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Just finished watching How to Train Your Dragon 3D Blu-Ray. Wow! Not bad. Definitely another demo disc. Some of the flying scenes are awesome in 3D.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Next 2 Blu Rays here...

Despicable Me 12/14...

Salt 12/21....

12. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Passing on Inception? :eek2:

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Maybe...saw it in the commercial theater and thought it was OK and had some near special effects...but as a movie...only so-so.

I'll only get a flick in Blu Ray if I intend to watch it repeatedly (more than once).

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I haven't seen any announcment that it would be released on BD 3D.

15. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Well so far I have watched Shrek 1 and 2 on 3D Blu-Ray. You can tell that Shrek 1 was not made with 3D in mind. There isn't a lot of eye-popping stuff to think of. The movie still looks pretty good and its kind of nice to have the 3rd dimension there. Shrek 2 on the other hand is a definite improvement. Lots of good depth. Better than what I expected.

16. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I meant just the regular version BR...I thought that's what he meant, too.

I pre-ordered Inception regular BR & Despicable Me 3D. I'm not a BR disc buyer, never bought many DVDs...I'm going to start since Netflix doesn't do 3D discs, yet. Plus, I want to get the most of my new TV & Oppo 3D BR. :lol:

17. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Last night I watched the Alice in Wonderland Blu-Ray in 3D. Pretty much what I remember from the IMAX 3D version. Actually seemed a bit better. These discs packages are kind of expensive but considering what you get, its not bad. You get the 3D Blu-ray, the regular Blu-Ray, the DVD and digital copy for about $35 (on Amazon).

18. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    OK guys, I got my hands on a copy of Avatar on 3D Blu-Ray. This is definitely the crown jewel of them all! The best 3D I have seen. The depth is amazing and extremely immersive. Just as good if not better than the theater since it's a more controlled environment.

Perfect demo material and completely blows away everything else.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Picking up multiple copies of Despicable Me on Blu Ray combo pack tomorrow (preordered with promo) and SALT comes next week.

20. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Send it over. ;)