1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning up the old wires, question about SWM16 connections

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by nibyak, Mar 24, 2018.

1. nibyak

nibyak Mentor

Dec 7, 2005
    Rural VA
    My question is what it the best way to wire my receivers to my SWM16. I’ve had DirecTV forever and originally had 5 DVRs. When I got the official Whole-Home setup (a long time ago) I got the SWM-16 and was able to go to one cable to each of the 5 DVRs. A few years ago, I got a Genie with 3 wired minis and I kept one old HR-22 DVR. The installer just hooked them up to the existing wires and left.
    I recently had a few of the minis taking a long time to connect upon startup. I restarted the Genie and everything seems fine.

I’ve got the old Slimline 5LNB dish with 4 cables to the SWM 16. I got the Genie, 3 minis, the old HR-22 and the Cinema Connection Kit (Internet) hooked up.

I moved the Genie, the Minis and the CCK to one of the 8 port Splitters. I put the HR-22 on the other side directly to the SWM-16 with no splitter. I thought the minis would work better being on the same side of the DECA as the Genie. Does this setup make sense or is there a better way to hook it up?

SWM16 is indoors in the basement within easy reach.

Thanks

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    (without DIRECTV coming out)
    The Genie (5 tuners) and the HR22 (2 tuners) use 7 tuners total (minis use the Genie tuners). So you can put them both on the same side of the SWM16 and remove your 2nd 8-port splitter.

3. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    If you are concerned about excess coax wires on the exterior of you house due to old technology I would propose that you contact DirecTV and insist that a Tech come out and remove all unused coax and connect up current setup. I have been a DTV customer since 1999. There have been many, many changes since then. We had a multitude of excess coax. AT first DTV said no. I then went to retention and laid out my case. After the word was done there was a pile almost 4 ft tall ad 6 ft long. It took me a while to convince DTV but I would not accept no for an answerer. Be strong and preserver. It can look like a wire jungle. Good luck.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yeah, it's time to upgrade to UHD - do you have 4k TV or soon will buy it ?
    then call DTV and ask for free upgrade : new mini C61k,new RB DLNB (support 21 tuners w/out needs for a switch), upto HR54; you would keep your minis and HR22 ...

5. nibyak

nibyak Mentor

Dec 7, 2005
    Rural VA
    All the wires were inside and most of them were installed by me. I was just cleaning up some of the dangling ends near the SWM. When I first got the whole-home installation the installers (2 of them) didn’t really have an idea of how to hook everything up to the SWM16. I believe I showed them a diagram, probably from this this site. What they did was hook up all 5 pairs of cables (10 total) to the splitters and installed the CCK. Then they just picked one of the cables at the receiver end and left the other jacks open. I eventually unhooked all the unused cables from the SWM and put terminators on the empty jacks.

The installer showed up the day before without a SWM16. After which my wife emailed one of the DirecTV VPs which is why they sent two installers the next day. While they were hooking everything up the VP's lackey called to see if we were satisfied with the install. My wife is an expert at dealing with the Directv and being persistent. They also gave us the Whole-Home upgrade for free. This was after the installation had been cancelled more than once.

1953 likes this.
  6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How easy can you get to your dish?

7. nibyak

nibyak Mentor

Dec 7, 2005
    Rural VA
    Very easy. I can reach it on my step ladder.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You could swap out the lnb for a rblnb and then just have a splitter instead of the swim16.