Clearing my newspaper free atricles views history.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, May 9, 2019.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I select Clear History, and, within the box, I check cookies and cache. That has always enabled me to keep reading articles in the Boston Globe, the Washington Post and the New York Times.

I just replaced my two year old HP with a nearly physically identical one, but clearing my history does not hoodwink those newspapers. The only difference I can see is that the new computer has Windows 10 whereas the older one had windows 7.

Is their tracking of me enabled by Windows 10? If so, how can I get rid of it and replace it with Windows 7?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are using Microsoft Edge,
    3 dots, Settings, Security and Privacy,
    Several things there that you can choose. One of them is to Send a Do Not Track request.

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    No capiche.

I'm using whatever HP included with this computer at no additional charge. I bought it at Walmart, rather than Best Buy, where I normally shop, so there is, of course, no one to ask there.

I think the only way I even learned that I was on Windows 10 rather than 7 was that when I imported my Firefox history, Firefox told me.

I hate trying to do anything with Microsoft. They send these messages saying that I need to finish setting up this and that, and when I have attempted to comply, they wind up high jacking my preferences towards them. They somehow sucked me into making Word my default text processor even though I don't have Word, and I have not been able to sever myself from it even though I have tried several ways that people have recommended, so now, when I open a text document on my old computer, I HAVE to use "Open with..." rather than "Open.

Recently, my old computer displays the message that I have not finished installing OneDrive. I don't know what OneDrive is and don't want to find out, because if I don't like what I find out, I may find myself inextricably tethered to it.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Windows 10 came with Microsoft Edge. You should be able to see what is loading when you click on the web browser. If you put your pointer over the shortcut to it and hold it there, the name of the program should show up.

Defaults: Find the icon that looks like a gear. It is the Settings button for Windows 10.
    Choose Apps, there you can set default apps for things like you mentioned about using word. Choose Apps & Features. One choice there says to choose default Apps by file type

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Good news. I hadn’t noticed this, but when I installed Firefox in my new computer, the “Time range to clear” initial or default value of my Clear All History function was One Hour, whereas to serve my purpose, it needs to be changed to Forever, which means I’m back to freeloading off the substantial, mainstream newspapers.

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I know it isn't as good a 'free', but you can get a full electronic subscription to the NY Times for $1 per week.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I wonder if you could use a browser in incognito mode and therefore never have an issue.

8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Google search this morning says it's $2 a week for a year. My Washington Post sub on my Amazon Fire tablet was one cent for the first six months and $3.99 per month after that.

9. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    This^. Use Ctrl + Shift + P to open a New Private Window in Firefox. The paste the URL of the article you wish to read.