1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ClearQAM and Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by R0am3r, Oct 28, 2009.

1. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    Can I combine ClearQAM signals from Cable TV with Directv via diplexers? My setup consists of the following equipment: 1 Slimline-3 (not SWM) with 4 coaxial cables going to various Directv receivers. The LCD TV that I want to view the ClearQAM channels has a H23 receiver fed with HDMI. I would like to split out the signals at the end point through the use of a diplexer with one side going to the H23 and the other side to the LCD TV for ClearQAM viewing. Is this scenario possible or do ClearQAM signals share the same frequency spectrum as Directv equipment?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    NO

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I believe the QAM channels are in the same frequency range as analog cable. And thus, will also interfere with the Ka band of DirecTV channels.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    In few'er words--NO

:lol:

5. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    'No' for combining the signals or 'No' to the question about ClearQAM signals sharing the same frequency spectrum as Directv? Can you elaborate on these questions with something other than a simple one word answer?

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    NO means NO. No reason to explain try searching if you need more detailed answer it has been explained many many many times.

7. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    If this is true, how is it that today I can send analog channels 3 and 4 over the same coax as my incoming sat signal using diplexers and get no interference on any channels? BTW, I moved my BBC's to the dish side of the diplexer.

EDIT: Just noticed the OP has an H23. You've got to have a receiver with external BBC's to make diplexing work, which the H23 doesn't have.

8. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    No, you can't diplex the signals. Yes, they share the same frequency band.

If you were using a SWM setup or even a receiver that required BBC's (just about any other one than the H23/HR23), you could diplex the signal in.

9. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    Huh? The reason for the original post was to find an answer that gives specific details about QAM and Directv. I performed several searches here on DBSTalk and Google and didn't find a good answer to the questions posted. If you can't answer the question, please stop wasting my time with useless posts.

10. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    Thank you Whitepelican - I appreciate your straight forward response. I was wondering about the issue of the built-in BBC on the H23. Maybe I'll give it a whirl on my HR22 (with external BBCs).

11. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Technically you can diplex some cable frequencies into a H-23 w/o interference.

KA low is 250 to 750 MHz.

Channel 3/4 work since they are 61.25 and 67.25 MHz video carrier.
    In fact:

TV 2 - 6 : 55.25 to 83.25 MHz
    Cable 95 - 99 : 91.25 to 115.25 MHz
    Cable 14 - 22 : 121.25 to 169.25 MHZ
    TV 7 - 13 : 175.25 to 211.25 MHz

can be inserted into line w/o "interfering" with satellite.

This , however, realistically would have to be done with modulators and to get HD modulators for several channels would be very expensive. ie 1000's per channel.

Diplexing with SWM can and is done on MDU systems but is not a residentially approved setup. By the way, although an OTA port is available on the SWM-8 unit it is advisable to diplex outside of the SWM unit.

Doctor j

edit:
    As a trial one might get a band pass filter , cut out above 250 MHz, insert it into cable line before diplexer.
    Split out signal at tv and scan to see what you get.
    Many cable systems are different in where they put signals and you might get "Lucky" and tune what you want.

12. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Wow, that's a bit over the top. :nono2:

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That would be a "low-pass" filter.

In any case, DIRECTV recommends against diplexing. Given the all-to-flexible bandwidth usage of CATV, it is wise to keep it well away from a satellite system.

14. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
  15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "AS IF" a bandpass that blocks below 50 MHz wouldn't do the same thing. :nono:

16. MatthewTheRaven

MatthewTheRaven Mentor

Feb 21, 2008
    I can't speak for non SWM setups, but with the SWM it might be easier...

I have Atlantic Broadband for my cable modem and they don't filter out the the ClearQAM digital channels even if you have internet-only service. I have a SWMLine dish and diplexed the ClearQAM into the single line and diplexed it back out at each TV and it actually works great. I did it with full knowledge that it might/probably not work, but for me it ended up working perfectly.

17. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    This could be accomplished a lot easier if Directv would put a QAM tuner in their STBs (and the appropriate software). Yeah, you'd have to run an addition line, but then you wouldn't have to change inputs, and could use the DVR functions.

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Why would they do that since the only ones that use QAM is cable? That makes no sense from a business standpoint whatsoever. Thats like asking Comcast to add a D* tuner into their STB's.

19. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    Well, if they had added QAM tuners a few years ago, they could possibly have saved some customers. With a $10 lifeline from your local cable company, you can get your locals in HD. Since Directv doesn't offer every HD local in the U.S., this is technically a way around it. I know of quite a few people that went with Dish because they had our locals in HD for the past year and half, which Directv just provided last month.

Also, during heavy storms, when rain-fade takes out your signal, one could always fall back on the locals via QAM.

Obviously not a must have feature, but it would still be a feature (which wouldn't cost them much) that no other TV provider offers.

If Directv ever released their HTPC tuner (not holding my breath), one could have Directv programming, QAM, and ATSC all under a single interface.

20. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    i have the same setup, but with HR20 in the living room and my old D11 connected to my regular SD TV upstairs. all four lines from the dish come into my basement to a WB68.

can i diplex in the cable signal to the D11? would i need to put a BBC on the line first?