1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Client and tv resolutions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jodean, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Did i miss something?? why wont the clients auto detect the tv over hdmi like all the other recievers?? Seems to be a big PITA setting up all the resolutions manually, hope that gets resolved soon!!!

2. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    that figures, i think this was fixed the day after i posted about it LOL

Now the clients pick up what the tv can do, thats awesome, saves a bunch of time.

Also they changed the guide first to default again THANK YOU!!!!!

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Though in a related "curiosity" I guess, under the hidden "Miscellaneous Options" feature in an HD receiver menu, used for reasons I can't get into here ;) . It list the supported TV resolutions a receiver automatically detects over an HDMI connection.

Yet 480i is never listed as one of them, which of course any HDTV obviously has. The list always starts at 480p and then up from there.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Not 100% true, there are many brand/models of HDTV's that do not support 480i over HDMI.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well all mine in the home do :), yet none of the HD receivers here list indicate 480i as a supported resolution under "Misc. Options." Inconsequential of course, but still a curiosity.

However, thanks for the correction. While obviously as "HD" in the name HDMI states its mainly for high definition signals, I really thought all HDTVs nevertheless support something as basic as a 480i SD input over the HDMI connection.

6. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Which is probrably related to the problem of the box starting up in 480p mode which is a truly bad idea, some of the tvs i hook up component but can only do 480i, every time the receiver restarts they have what appears to be a scrambled video signal on the tv till it reverts to 480i once loaded. And yes those tvs do look better hooked up component rather than composite. T

They shoudl REALLY fix that design flaw there, esp for mpeg 4 market that get forced hd equipment.