1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Client Connecting To Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HarryG, Mar 14, 2018.

1. HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    i have recurring issues with my C61K client connecting with my HR54 Genie. Under the best of circumstances it takes about ten seconds for the client to connect to the Genie. Unfortunately, over the last few months, when powering on the C61K client it will sometimes attempt to connect with the Genie, but will be unable to establish a connection. The connection issue is now occurring about once a week and seems to be increasing in frequency.

A red button reboot of the C61K client will not reestablish contact with the Genie. A red button reboot of the Genie (sometimes accompanied by an additional second reb button client reboot) will then enable the client to connect properly to the Genie. The workaround is time consuming and annoying, and unfortunately will cause the program guide to repopulate.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this client connection issue?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a System Test and see if it reveals anything.

3. HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    Ran System Test on C61K client (no issues detected)

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a BiST (Built-in Self Test) on the Genie. Reset the Genie. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." displayed on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts.

5. HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    I initiated the self test but was confused by the choices on the first screen:
    Utilities or Reboot. I’m not sure I’m qualified to run the individual tests that are most likely accessed by selecting the utilities option. I selected the reboot option and the Genie responded accordingly.

Is a 10-12 second delay in establishing a handshake between the Genie and the client normal?

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    What you're experiencing isn't the norm. Whatever is causing the connection delay needs to be identified before it can be corrected. Give DIRECTV a call, explain the issue and request a service call.

ericknolls likes this.