Clone HR44 1TB hard drive to larger drive and use via esata?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jksellman, Jan 27, 2019.

1. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    Here is my plan....does anyone see any problem with it?
    I have an HR44 and an HR24. The HR24 has an external 2TB hard drive on a dock that works fine.
    Every few years I clone the external hard drive and replace it with a new one to prevent failures.
    My HR44 has been using the internal 1TB hard drive. My plan would be to remove that drive and make a clone copy on a larger drive, then re install the original drive back into the HR44 and use the cloned larger drive in a dock via the esata port. My understanding is that my external drive that is cloned from the internal drive, would then have my programs and series record list “good to go” as it would on the HR24.
    My experience tells me this will work, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this.....?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  2. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I had done the reverse of that (except for the cloning part) without any problems.

I moved the 3TB drive I'd been using externally on the HR44 from the dock it it had been in and put it inside to reduce noise (replacing the original internal, which had been emptied prior to docking the 3TB).

All recordings and settings remained, if that's what you're concerned about.

Edit to add: I don't know if you're "cloning" your drives, or using the copying processes discussed elsewhere in these forums.

My understanding is that cloning restricts the available drives size to the original, so it's necessary to use the more complicated copy process in order to take advantage of increased drive space.

This is why I watched-down and deleted the original content of the internal, as I didn't want to deal with the copying process and don't have the equipment for it.

That's the only other thing I can think of that would maybe cause any problems.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No it won’t. You can’t clone a drive to make it larger the partitions wouldn’t change and you’d still only have 1 tb of space on the new drive. There is a thread on this site on the procedure on how to move to a larger drive. It’s talking about hr20s but it’s still the same general process. I’d use the exact original version of g parted to make it work. Others require additional things to do that are buried in the massive thread.

I’d also go to a 4tb drive at least, they are pretty cheap these days.

I don’t know Linux at all but I made it work pretty easy so I’m sure you can as well. Good luck!