1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close call on Monday with asteroid.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Matt9876, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    A newly discovered asteroid will pass within 12,000 kilometres (7,500 miles) of Earth on Monday. However, NASA says the space rock poses no threat to the planet.

2011MD was sighted for the first time on Wednesday by a robotic telescope in New Mexico, USA. The International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center in Massachusetts, USA, put out an alert Thursday.

It will be daylight in the UK and Ireland (12.30 GMT) when the asteroid makes passes over the southern Atlantic Ocean, near the coast of Antarctica.

NASA say the encounter is so close that Earth’s gravity will sharply alter the asteroid’s trajectory.

Full story:
    http://www.irishweatheronline.com/n...ers-of-the-asteroid-kind-for-earth/21362.html

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

So, do I need my catcher's mitt or not?

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    As long as it doesn't knock out any of the DIRECTV satellites on the way through Geostationary orbit

4. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Geez, that ain't sayin' much for NORAD. What if it were some sort of alien invasion disguised as a space rock? We wouldn't stand a chance. :eek2:

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Fits right in with nearly every invasion movie. Nobody notices the craft approaching until it is really close.

As for the Clarke belt ... no worries, mate. While this thing will come close to earth it will be too far south to affect geo satellites.

[youtube]czr0Kkpyrec[/youtube]
    Video from news article linked in first post.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If it's any consolation, we are 5 weeks (not months) from when Harold Camping got the end of the world date wrong .. Hmmmmmm ...

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Nice theory :) But this one is so small it would burn up on the way down, or so they said on the sites I read. It would be a major wake up call if it hit a satellite though.

8. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Is this viewable anywhere in America by chance?

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
  10. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Please pass the Reynolds. :)

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well. they're going to be real small.

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/n...ers-of-the-asteroid-kind-for-earth/21362.html

12. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
  13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Wonder if DishEarth might catch anything, even on the periphery.

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I wonder if we aren't headed towards a generation of Chicken Little syndrome...

I get why they want to pay attention, so they have advanced warning of something big crashing onto us... and have time maybe to do something...

But I'm not sure what the point of announcing all the near misses are, except to rile people up and cause fear.

There are surely untold numbers of things that have missed us over the centuries that we never knew about.

We generally don't keep track of near-misses... at least not as a stat that gets announced proudly. I figure it is good of them to track these things and have the data in case anyone is interested... but announcing "something you didn't know about will miss us on Monday" doesn't seem like an announcement intended to do anything but inspire fear that next time it might not miss.

In a related story... I am not going to punch anyone in the face on Monday! It will be a near miss :)

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea. If the world is going to end, I would rather not know about it :)

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
  17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Too small.

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Stewart. I'd much rather people get riled up by the media over this than the things they focus on. Though I haven't seen any demands for a resignation in our space program or Defense Department over this.

I, for one, think we have the technology to know about these stony visitors a bit sooner. And since we do have that technology, why haven't we implemented it?

I would appreciate knowing how often we get these "too late to do anything" warnings - just on the oft chance somehow I get a chance to encourage our government to consider worrying about alien rocks capable of causing things like the Tunguska event and the Chicxulub crater rather than other kinds of aliens.

And maybe someday we could actually develop asteroid deflection strategies, maybe in my granddaughters' lifetimes.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    For me, it's one of those examples that shows that things in space do affect us. Not to get political, but I've had people tell me that we should take all the money that's spent on space exploration (whether earth or space based) and put it to social programs, because "space doesn't matter." There are cases it matters quite a bit, and more than just understanding the universe we live in.

Though, while we tend to discover these things when they are almost here, if one were to be on a direct path, what could we really do about it?

20. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Obviously you didn't watch Armageddon. Bruce, Ben and Billy Bob figured it out easy as pie.