1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed Caption when muted?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by dbconsultant, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    I just read somewhere that when you hit the mute button on the E* remote, closed captions will show up on the screen automatically? Is this for real? How do you set it up? On my tv, muting doesn't enable the CC so this would be much handier than going through my tv's menu when we can't understand what they're saying! :listenup: .

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It would be interesting for the receiver to know whether or not the TV was muted. Yes, the mute button is on the E* remote, but it sends the mute command to the TV not the receiver.

CC on mute is a neat feature. I have it on my TVs and turned it on on my inlaw's TV.

3. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Bummer. I'm familiar with the CC/Mute thing on tv's. The tv in our motorhome does that and it's cool when you just can't quite catch what they are saying. Don't know why the Sony's don't do that. Since what I was reading was regarding the way CC displays with 622's I was hoping it was an added feature! Oh, well! Thanks for the input!:)

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can just turn CC on.

And since it is a DVR, you can pause, turn CC on, then go back and see what you missed. (Although not as quick as CC on mute.)

5. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    This is what I do now and was trying to avoid.

The pausing and going back is no big deal but turning on the CC on my tv requires going into the tv's menu, going into the CC menu, selecting the CC, etc. etc. etc.

I was hoping to pause, go back, hit mute, look at the caption, then un-mute. Doesn't look like that's possible, unfortunately.:nono:

6. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    I really enjoyed the CC on mute on the 721, but it doesn't work on the 622--at least, I haven't found out how.

7. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    So this did work on one of the receivers! Thanks, Charise, for letting me know I wasn't bonkers!:lol:

8. Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003

Which TV are you referring to? IF you are viewing TV1 via HDMI or component your TV does not decode the CC. It is turned on and off in the 622 menu. Hit menu, 8, 8. I think the only time your TV comes into play as far as the CC goes is when you use the TV 2 outputs on the 622.

9. voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    Unfortunately this isn't a one button process. For some bizarre reason Dish hides this command under several layers of menu. I would LOVE to be able to program the mute button on my remote to turn on CC.

10. cnwade

cnwade Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 18, 2004
    Agreed! As my ears and brain have aged, I use CC a lot. That "CC on mute" was a very nice feature on the 721 (and previous?) receiver and I sure wish the 921/942/622 boxes we've had since then had the same ability....

11. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Your sanity is not in question--this time! :D

12. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    So if I'm reading this right the only way to get CC on a HDTV via HDMI is turning it on in the 622?

If so did my 622 spaz out? I had a instance of two recorded shows yesterday that had CC in the middle od the screen Idang funny place to put it too. I'd swear the CC was recorded in the video. When I went into the CC options and turned it on and then off the delayed portion still showed it but going live and i disappeared. Am I going crazy or has anyone seen this before. I first tried turning it on/off in the TV but that option was grayed out. Maybe because I was on HDMI.

Thanks

13. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    I saw the very same thing on my recording of "Smallville" from HDNet on Wednesday. I didn't know what to think of it but just put up with the text in the middle of the screen throughout the show. By Thursdays recording, it was gone. Who knows what happened to cause this to happen?

14. wimcolgate

wimcolgate Mentor

Mar 29, 2004
    I record HDnet "Dead like me" -- and the DVR had two episodes with CC on. I found no way to disable it. It too has stopped -- without any specific action that I recall from me.

Wim

15. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Now this is interesting! I have a Sony 34xbr. Have always run audio via optical to my A/V receiver. On my 510 receiver, I would have to turn on CC using my tv's menu (PITA); didn't do anything with the 510's options. I haven't done anything with the 622's CC options since I've had it nor have I gone into the tv's menu to turn it on (we only do that when somebody mumbles in a program) since the 622 was installed. I will check tonight and see if the CC from the tv's menu no longer works (audio set up via optical to A/V receiver as it was with 510, viewing via HDMI). I have single view, shared enabled on the 622 since we don't watch a second tv in another room. Ooh, goody, more stuff to check out!:D

16. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Wouldn't be the first time it was though!:grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.