Closed Captioning...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    'CC' is the appropriate acronym. Do you use CC? I just started using CC a couple months ago. Not because of hearing loss. I was sitting in the utility room watching a show on NF and the noise in the room was such that I couldn't clearly understand the dialog. Switched to CC and had no problems. That got me started. We/I watch a lot of Australian movies and series on NF and sometimes the accents make the dialog hard to understand. CC works really well with them. And on British content. Then I watched a couple series on NF in Spanish with CC turned on. That works well. Works well for any good show in a foreign language. Opened up a lot of content for me, shows that I would not have watched.

Most importantly, I found that with CC on I have to concentrate instead of what I usually do, which is letting my mind wander to other subjects. So, using CC, I tend to have more focus on what I'm watching.

To top all this off, my wife bought into the whole CC thing.

Rich

2. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    From the other thread:

Been using CC like that for years. Also (like Rich) to help "decode otherwise-English" dialects.

I liked the way even the old TiVos would still display the CC in 2x mode.

Later, using 1.3x on a DVD recorder with sound and instant commercial skip connected to the receiver with the captions already turned on.

Nowadays I'll save stuff in HD with either the DTV subtitles or custom captions to files, then play them back with VLC in the FTV box (or tablet). It lets you play with the sound on from something like .25 up to 4x. Great for getting through slow material or catching up on episodes.

I can also play them with my newest TV's own app, but only allows .5, 1 or 2x w/sound. Also instant ad-skip via its proggie bar and pointer, or arrow-right.

At 1.3x these will take an hour-long ep w/ads down to 1/2 hour and nothing missed.

I feel with captions you miss a lot less. I also like to crank up the size and put a translucent banner for use on a smaller screen in the BR sometimes.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Most important thing for me is being able to focus on what's going on, CC really causes me to focus. How do you change the CCs? I guess you meant on a D* device? I usually use an ATV and don't have those options. The FTV boxes do have CCs that can be played with IIRC, haven't used one in some time. That's something that Apple should work on.

Rich

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Closed caption is on all the time on my TVs. It gives me a second chance to catch dialog. I only turn it off when it interferes with the picture. (And my hearing is fine.)

5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah, the files are "captured" mostly from DTV boxes. Lots of options this way.

6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    ^^
    This is the way I use it most of the time, too. My hearing's fine, as well. Lots of times (esp late at night) I like to watch with reduced volume.

However, if it's out of synch with the dialog (or if it's the too far-delayed "stenographer-style") I find it way too distracting under otherwise normal circumstances, but will occasionally leave that style on if intended for high-speed playback.

I really like the customizing ability with the DTV boxes, where I can set up a less-obtrusive font, size and removed background banner. Also the default subtitle setting is pretty much alright in most situations, esp for occasional low-def playback.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I can't read fast enough. I do not get to watch what is on for programming. Mercy.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Same problem my son has. He doesn't read enough to be a fluent reader. He can't keep up with the captions either. But he can sure keep on games.

Rich

9. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    In high school I took a semester of advanced reading and have never regretted it. But back then I always enjoyed reading.

However, I think for me keeping up with the captions came as a result of having "been at it" for probably 15 years.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Tell us about the advanced reading thing? Never heard of that and I'm curious.

Rich

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    Used to be called "speed reading.". AKA skimming or scanning. Circa 1979 commercial:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gave that some thought years ago. Decided I read fast enough, it would be like guzzling fine wine instead of savoring it. Thanx for the link, Steve looked good.

Rich

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I remember a reading class that I should not have been in where we had a projection screen and a moving box that would uncover a word at a time. The class was forced to read at the speed of the projection and I believe the intent was to teach slower readers to pick up the pace so they would not be left behind. I recall the projection being way too slow for me (I could read faster). But the concept of breaking up a page full of words into lines or individual words seemed to make reading easier for some of the kids.

Closed captioning reminds me of that. A few words at a time on the screen - read it before it goes away.

14. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    James has it about right. There was a projection device involved.

But it's not all about speed.

As I recall it was an elective English course, recommended for some but not compulsory. It was a smaller class size and the students that needed more help could get it.

For me the greatest benefit was the expansion of vocabulary and being tested on comprehension. And I'm pretty sure there was spelling, too.

I don't think I'd be enjoying these forums nearly as much but for that one course. Quite possibly the most useful thing I ever got out of high school (that and two semesters of typing).

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I took typing for two years. Without that, things would be a lot different. Far and away the most useful course I took in high school.

Rich

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I took typing in junior year of high school in 1947. Probably the most useful class I ever took as I have typed ever since. I used it all through college. It came in very handy when I was in the Army. I got out of a lot of marching during basic training because they wanted a volunteer to type in the orderly room. And I was ready for computer keyboards when I bought my first PC in 1984.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I rarely used a typewriter after those classes, never had any reason to use one. Along came computers with keyboards and here we are.

Rich

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS

My mom taught me "speed reading" before I even started kindergarden. On the standard testing they do in 8th grade - on the reading one, I handed in my test at 15 minutes into it. The proctor asked if I wanted to go over it again - I replied that I already had done that (and this was supposed to be an hour test). about 4 or so years later, my sister was in confernce with my mom talking about HER score - they said that she was the 2nd fastest to ever take that - it turned out that I was #1. me taking a speedreading course would be a waste of time and money. The ONLY people who can outspeed me are those people who can read / memorize a page at a glance ( and they are pretty rare - I've never met one). I only got faster in college, after taking my CS courses on grammers / etc. I can still go 2-4 times faster than almost everybody else.

One night - I read Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" - started at 7PM, put it down and went to bed at 3AM - finished - then I got up and went to my Navy CIC Officer course I was in at the time.

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I started doing this years ago when I had a hard time understanding some of the outstanding dialog on "Deadwater". With DirecTV, I always use their version of the captioning, rather than the "Closed Captioning" because it's not nearly as obtrusive. The one thing that I don't like about using RVU on the Samsung in my home gym is that the DirecTV captioning is not available. So, I have to use Closed Captioning (white text on obtrusive black bars) if I want to use it there.

20. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    It would probably be a good idea for me to use Closed Captioning. I apparently have inner ear damage, and with my hearing aids, I can hear, but not comprehend a lot of the dialog on programs I watch. Very frustrating.