Cloud DVR Comparison

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by techguy88, Jan 16, 2020.

1. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    With AT&T increasing their True Cloud DVR and including 3 concurrent streams as standard on AT&T TV Now's current packages (Featured: Plus and Max / Others: Entertainment, Choice, Xtra, Ultimate and Optimo Mas) this really puts the service in a good place if you are looking only at the Cloud DVR options.
    3442cac6be7d472c3b4892814b00562d.png
    • YouTube TV still takes the #1 spot as the most well-rounded Cloud DVR with its Unlimited storage. Would be nice to see the 9 Month expiration removed to match fuboTV, Hulu Live TV and Sling TV with no expiration (until deleted). If you want the most well rounded Cloud DVR then look no further than YouTube TV.
    • AT&T TV Now ties for the second spot for a well rounded Cloud DVR despite the 90 day retention limit. What would make this better is if they extended this option to their Legacy/Grandfathered customers and increased/removed the retention limitation.
    • fuboTV ties with AT&T TV Now for the second spot solely because their lowest package (fuboTV Standard) includes a limited Cloud DVR that requires add-ons to unlock its full potential. If the 500 hours and extra concurrent stream was included in for fuboTV Standard it would easily knock AT&T TV Now to third place and tie with YouTube TV for the #1 spot.
    • Philo and Hulu Live TV ties for 4th place. The requirement on Hulu Live TV to have the Enhanced Cloud DVR in order to fast forward during the commercials on any recorded program holds this one back meanwhile Philo's measly 30 day retention of recordings holds their Cloud DVR back. I do commend Philo for offering Unlimited Storage out of the gate.
    • Sling TV now takes 6th place when compared to AT&T TV Now. I applaud the fact it has no retention limitation on recordings the storage is extremely low when compared to its rivals. What would make this better is if 50 hours was included as standard while the upgrade increased the storage to 100-200 hours at least.

2. DaRef

DaRef New Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Actually, I think Hulu+Live has a nine month retention policy (unless it has recently changed).

3. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    The other important factors are DVR UI and usability particularly trick play. I have found YTTV to be as close to, and IMO in some ways superior to, hardware/in house DVR. FF and REW is easy to use, fluid and accurate and the preview pane is nice and large and allows you to see exactly what you are REW/FF thru. The skip forward/back (15 secs per click) is also good. The functionality is much better, IMO, than PSVue which was pretty good.

One other item to note is that YTTV's ability to pause live TV is very good, does not rely on local storage, and is apparently unlimited (full disclosure I have only paused for at most an hour so their certainly could be a limit).