1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNBC DTMF tones?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by berniec, Apr 17, 2010.

1. berniec

berniec AllStar

Nov 23, 2008
    anybody else hearing DTMF tones on CNBC-HD as of late at the start/end of shows and breaks? presumably used to fire and end local avails these never used to bleed out on-air like they now are. not sure if this is a CNBC thing (it's in the program audio) or DirecTV has a receiver configured incorrectly.

2. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Is this like the old touch tones they used years ago that were audiable to the viewers?

3. berniec

berniec AllStar

Nov 23, 2008
    yup, exactly. DTMF = touch tones.

4. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Interestingly I was flipping through a MTV and they were showing a episode of 16 and Pregnant and in one of the scenes they had a text coverstation that was using those very sound effects...I haven't actually heard that tone in oh about a decade or more I think. When was the last time they used them in a manner that the audience could hear them...Obviously it was used long ago so that cable systems that didn't have detection equipment could manually cut to local spots and the like.

5. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Could be worse - a long time ago I was on a cable system that didn't filter out the "sub-audible" switching tones used by one cable news channel. I had a pretty big subwoofer setup and those tones would just about blow out the windows. :lol: