1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coax requirements

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by slo_dave, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1 of 10
    slo_dave

slo_dave Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    I'll be subscribing to DTV in a few weeks. I have have wiring question..

How many coax to feed a HD DVR ? 1 or 2

I'm getting ready to drywall my basement remodel and will be running RG6 in walls.

2. prospect60

prospect60 Legend

Aug 26, 2006
    Well, one would be adequate if you use a SWM system otherwise you will need 2 coax if you wish to use both tuners, but if you are putting it in drywall I'd run at least 2 RG6 and at least a couple of CAT6 cables even if they aren't used now and just left unterminated and free behind the wall. You might want to add an OTA antenna later or who knows what advantages ethernet cables might have down the line.

At the very least I'd make sure there is some sort of pull cable so you can add something later. Extra lengths of cable are cheap compared to breaking up and repairing a wall.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I agree with the above. You should run all of these lines to a common location where future changes can be made easily. This location is where any equipment would be installed. Such as multiswitch or an SWM splitter.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'll third the above replies.

Right now, you have the oppertunity to do anything. Once you close up those walls, it may be difficult, expensive, or near impossible to make changes. FUTURE-PROOF *NOW*, so that you have no regrets later.

No one has EVER regretted running "too much" cable, but tens of thousands (at the very least) have regretted not running enough. Moving data around the home is only going to get more important in the future.

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    With the way things are today, having a few extra wires in the wall is going to pay off in the long run. When I did my re-wiring, I made sure I stuffed a few extra wires down the wall and am thankful I did.

6. slo_dave

slo_dave Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    That was my plan..
    Already have 2 coax, 2 cat5 to most locations..
    My question should have said.. "How many to terminate". I used to do cable installs in a prior life :sure: and still have all the tools, snap-n-seal etc.
    I plan on ordering DTV service with 2 or 3 dvr's and 2 hd boxes plus MRV and tv internet connection.

So, new DVR's only need 1 coax correct?

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    SWM systems require only one coax per DVR. Legacy systems require 2. If you're getting a new install and getting anything HD, you'll get a SWM system. If not, then you'll get a legacy system. The DVR is mostly irrelevant; it's the SWM switch system that makes the difference, though you do need receivers that support SWM. Those are:

D12 and newer
    R16 and newer
    H20 and newer
    HR20 and newer

8. slo_dave

slo_dave Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Perfect, thanks

9. M3 Pete

M3 Pete AllStar

Jul 24, 2007
    I have an install at my new house on Thursday. Currently, there is a Dish dish, but in a location that I do not want my DTV dish. The wires are run into the legacy cable TV wiring for the house, probably installed in 1982. It is all run into a long cable run that holds all the electricity circuits for the house.

I assume that the cable is inadequate for the DTV signal, and I know that AC and signal wiring should not be placed on long runs together.

I will probably have the tech run new wires around the outside of the house unless somebody can convince me otherwise.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The legacy cable TV runs need to be solid copper RG6 with no splitters.

Have new wires run to a common location and distribute from there.