1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coax Tools

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TITAN_53, Oct 17, 2009.

1. TITAN_53

TITAN_53 Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    It's pretty simple. I'm just looking for the cheapest stripping tool and compression tool that will work with RG6 cable for D*.

Thanks for info in advance.

2. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
  3. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    I've been using this to strip all types of coax cables for years, and never had a problem. This tool is cheap, easy to find locally, and as long as you're careful and it's sharp it will work great:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/00001668.jpg

I have had problems with dull and poorly adjusted strippers tearing up coax in the past, but never had a problem with a razor blade.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If you have a Lowe's nearby, they carry an inexpensive stripper and compression tool.

5. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    spend an extra 10 bucks and get a flaring tool as well. If you are new at putting connectors on it will make your life a lot easier.

6. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    This is the combo set I got from Lowes or Homedepot except mine is blue. Searching their sites has not turned it up though, so that is why I am showing this unknown vendors link.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...

I haven't owned a flaring tool in twenty years. Ity is easier, cheaper and better to just pinch the outer jacker twice on opposite sides with pliers to stretch it a little bit.

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Search for "coax stripper*" on eBay. They ship from Hong Kong from various suppliers for under $4 each incl shipping. At present, there are Buy-it-Now units available for $1.00 plus $2.10 shipping. I bought half a dozen last year, and they got here in about a week. Radio Shack sells what appears to be the same thing for about $16 each.

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Box knife from paun shop = $2.00
    Pliers " " " = $2.00
    F fittings @ .o9 ea / 100 = $9.00
    Blue shirt with logo...............priceless

Take a shot.......many with less skill or interest than you are out there just riding around trying to do something.

Joe

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Clue....Radio Shack has been in America selling stuff to Americans for many years. Their employees & stock holders live in this country. Their prices are...up. They are an electronics convenience store.

Crap from other countries supports crap human rights.

Joe

11. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Ha! Save that $2.00 on the pliers and buy screw-on fittings! :lol:

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Radio Shack buys these from China for well under $1.00 each and their employees and stockholders split my $15.00. I buy them from the same seller, paying a dollar or so to them and $2.00 to Federal Express (CEO Fred Smith is a customer of mine) or someone, and keep my $13.00 remainder. Maybe I'll donate a dollar or two of it to the United Way and spend the rest here in the USA... on myself.

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
  14. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
  15. terron

terron AllStar

Oct 11, 2008
    No one with any technical capacity willingly buys from Radio Shack. I say willingly because one time I had to buy some RJ25 ends in a pinch and Radio Shack had them, $8 for 6. Jerks.

16. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    I've used a ton of strippers, and the stripper in that combo set has been my favorite. You can purchase just the stripper from Lowes.

17. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    No knowledgeable person buys components and tools from Radio Shack unless he needs them immediately, which I often do. It is cheaper for me to pay $4 for an electrolytic capacitor, or recently, about $40 for some short A/V cables that I could have gotten from an on-line dealer for more like $5, than it is to make a return trip to install them. But for those of you who are working on your own systems in your home, unless you need something in time for the Super Bowl, you can always save a lot by obtaining them off "the 'net".

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Radio Shack is 3 miles from me, Home Depot is 15 and the closest real electronics store is a $10 ferry ride plus 20 miles of driving. If the shack has what I need, I'll take it every time.