1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coax

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Davenlr, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Depends if you have SWM or standard, and how long the run is. If you have SWM, and the run is under 100 feet, any RG6 with compression connectors will be fine. Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart, Solid Signal, and probably monoprice.com all sell them. You can even use RG59 if you already have it in your wall, with SWM, if the cable is in good shape.

2. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    Alright, It's probably about 15 feet or so and no SWM.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    15 feet you can use any RG6 or even RG59 in a pinch. Just get them with compression connectors for waterproofing and better connection. That said, I have in a pinch, used a 25' chuck of old used RG59 with twist on F connectors over the winter after a rat (no kidding) chewed through one of my RG6 runs. I had the same signal readings on the RG59 as the RG6QS (one was hooked to each tuner), so other than DirecTv's over the top requirements to prevent callbacks on tech installs, in the real world, its not that important.

I really think compression connectors are the way to go, just because of their waterproofing, and the fact they dont damage the coax end like crimp on connectors can (and most pre-made coax sets use crimp on). It will work tho, if thats all you have.