Cold call for free “movies pack”. Worked for a few days now error 721

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cypherx, Sep 5, 2019.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Hi guys,

A week or two ago, possibly according to my cell phone call history even back on 8/23, a direcTV rep cold called me. They just wanted to offer the movies pack free for 3 months (used to be called HD xtra). Back in the day I used to always have this offer because you could cancel online and then add it again free for 3 months. Well once they did away with that loophole I never reactivated it. So I gave an enthusiastic YES to the rep on the phone who called me. It was at my lunch time at work, but by the time I got home and changed my favorites list around sure enough it was working.

Last night I tried to tune to 572 MTV Live for a concert and i get the 721 error code which makes the receiver think it’s no longer authorized. Just now I tried refreshing receivers online and its still showing this message on screen.

Anyone ever have this happen where you take a deal on a cold call, it works for a few days and then drops right off the face of the planet?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Call DIRECTV and have them re-authorize the service.

3. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Off the wall question for you - When they called you, did they ask you for any account or credit card/bill paying info?

4. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    They just asked to verify my name and home address.

I’ll call later.

5. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    That's good. There was an outside chance of it being a 'fake' call to steal your info. It happened to my mother-in-law a few years ago with her Optimum account.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I had the same call. But they are not DIRECTV employees -- it is a 3rd-party company. And while they had all my account information, I don't engage these calls just in case it is a scammer.

7. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Well it should now be resolved, just a tick under 18 minute phone call. Every time I call they are waiting for their computers. Sounds like they have some pretty slow systems in the call center.

Anyway there was no record of this being on my account. Why it worked and now all of a sudden doesn’t could not be answered. Rep was not sure if there was a free preview going on. When I get home later today I’ll verify. Rep said it can take 2 to 4 hours to activate - which is weird because I’ve added and removed things before and it was instantaneous.

8. B_H

B_H Cool Member

Sep 23, 2003
    There WAS a free preview a couple of weeks ago.