1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Book Prices

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Sigh.... there must be some conspiracy between the college book store and the book manufacturers.

Even though it's still the summer semister, I did view the preminimary book list for the classes in the fall semister.

Spanish 1A-Big Divet. At the top of the list for Spanish 1A was the note "Attend first class before purchasing". (Sigh). Anyways, they sell the Spanish material in packs. According to the booklist, there are two packs:

* Textbook, CDs, Electronic Labbook: $135.99 new/$102 used
    * Textbook, CDs, Paper Labbook: $165.99 new/$124.50 used

I'm going to have to speak with someone to find out the differences and details. But, a prelininary examination of the "deluxe" pack showed a textbook, paper labbook, CD-ROM, 8 audio CDs, and a tape.

CIS 11A/11B-Word processing with Word 2002. One of those courses they want you to take to transfer over. Well, the textbook they want you to use is Microsoft Word 2002: Signature with CD. Once again, the bookstore listed the price as $66.60 new/$49.95 used. This time, I got the ISBN number and checked Amazon's price: $91.56 :bang:

Speech 10-Interpersonal communications. Again, a course needed for a AA degree. According to the book list, I have two books:

* Mediation $15.95 New/$12 Used/Amazon: $15.95
    * Bridges, not Walls $33.70 New/$25.30 Used/Amazon: $35.50

Amazon has a slight edge of about 80 cents if I use super saver shipping.

Let me guess, keep all the receipts and hope they're tax-deductable.

2. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    "Let me guess, keep all the receipts and hope they're tax-deductable."

The IRS rule is that they are only tax deductible if the courses or books are necessary for you to MAINTAIN your EXISTING job or profession. They are auditing this category of expenses more and more. Six years ago they disallowed a professional course I took because it wasn't needed for my job. My employer wouldn't sign a form saying it was necessary education.

Education expenses that lead to a differenent or better job are not deductible.

3. Martyva

Martyva Guest DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Some books only are good for one semester, especially science books. Don't become a Lit or History major, you'll choke. i had an Africa and the Victorians History course at Colorado in the mid sixties. One semester 6 books-three hardback three paperback, the only thing worse than the price was the small print.

4. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I got a "Regents Scholarship" in High School it was "$250" a year for 4 years of college, and that covered all my books. Boy have times changed.

One thing I learned at my college was that the earlier you trade in your book, the more money you get. So I would sometimes gamble and wait a semester after my class was done, then turn in the book before finals of the next semester. Sometimes they would change books and I would be out of luck, other times I got some mighty nice payment. And I was not a highlighter type person, mostly took my own notes to paper so my "NEW" books looked alot better than my friends books after 1 semester.

5. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    :soapbox:

My employer is nice enough to flex my schedule so that I can take daytime classes and still maintain a full-time job. (Which is why I'm weekend tech). I'm don't think that I can get him to sign a form indicating that it's necessary for me to maintain my job.

6. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I am surprised you don't have any books written by one of your professors or instructors. This was very common when I went to the University of Minnesota. What a great way to supplement the income. A captured audience buying the book you wrote. Sort of reminds me of the scene in "The Freshman". (Great flick).

:D

7. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Ah, the instructor authored book. At my college, the entire department would use the book (I guess the college got a kick back???) Knaive me, I figured, wow a book by the Professor let me get a new copy instead of a used copy. Silly Me :D

But I do think the professor treated the new buyers better than the "Used" buyers :wave:

8. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    You need to find a friend a year ahead of you to buy some used books. I believe the school library didn't pay crap for used books and then charged a lot for them. If you find somebody who will deal with you you'll get your books used much cheaper and they'll get a much better price. You just have to negotiate.

9. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The best place to buy textbooks is the marketplace on Amazon.com. My International Business book through the school bookstore was $111.00. I bought it new off Amazon for $74.50. I have done that several times and have saved grundles of money. Here are some other sites:

www.ecampus.com
    www.textbooks.com
    www.amazon.com

If you have the ISBN of the book you want, you will have a much easier time looking.

Good luck in your pursuits. I have 108 hours done and only 12 more to go for my BA in Business Administration. It'll be so good to be done!

10. Guest

Textbookprices.com

http://206.204.3.21/cgi-bin/robot_a...D=textbookprice&Compare+Prices=Compare+Prices

Code:
    Title:     Microsoft Word 2002  Spiral (Paperback) 
    Author: Nita Hewitt Rutkosky
    ISBN:   0763814059
    Ship Via: UPS
    Destination State: Ship-To State

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bookstore	Purchase	Total	       
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    half.com			$42.99 	
    Coupon Details: $5 off $10 order. Enter code "FREEFIVE" at checkout. New Customers Only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ecampus.com  			$66.57
    Coupon Details: No coupons at this time. Free shipping offer for for $99 order via Media Mail. Automatically calculated if Media Mail ship option is selected.

Amazon.com  			$95.55
    Coupon Details: No coupons or free shipping offers currently available 

11. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My daughters have been fortunate enough to attend universities with a rental book policy. Rental books average $100-150 a semester, with no danger that the books will be changed rendering the books bought a semester earlier worthless. Some of the more specialized books that are used in Major classes need to be bought, but these are often books a professioal will want to have in their library anyway. My oldest daughter received a $300 book scholarship her freshman year and it took care of her entire book expense that year.
    I only got hit by the Professor written book expense a few times (twice by one professor) while I was in seminary. It was a very expensive book on church architecture. I feel relatively safe in stating that students taking this required class probably made up 80% of the total sales of this book.

12. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Okay, I checked, and the difference between the two versions is the labbook, otherwise the package is the same (Textbook, CDs, tape)

13. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Not quite. The prices above are Amazon prices.

Good idea on the links. I did grab the ISBNs from the booklist. Will probably order at the end of the month.

14. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Nobody thinks twice about $50 or $80 a month for TV subscriptions.

You might try www.addall.com for easy book price comparisons.

I have several textbooks that are referenced several times a year, even 15 years after first purchased. Probably the best investments I've ever made, but groused about the price at the time. ;)

15. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I have... several times, especially when reminded about how much the sports channels are charging me (ie ESPN). If I were living alone (not with my mother), I wouldn't even have a dish setup or cable. Go figure.

The thing is that I can budget the TV, insurance, telephone, and other expenses. College tuition and the cost of books can be unpredictable. Mind you, this is only mid-June, and I'm planning for classes that start on August 19th. That's a two-month lead time.

And, mind you, the point of reference is how much books cost at a normal bookstore. OTOH, since I'm a full-time student, I can pick up software CHEAP.

There are several books which I have kept over the years (including a good drafting book plus a machinist handbook), plus some programming textbooks which have collected dust. I understand your point though.

16. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, when it comes to buying books. . . Over the past six or seven years I have been buying a set of commentaries as they were published. Next month the last book will be released. They have run $60 to $80 each, but at one or two a year it hasn't seemed so bad. Now that the whole set is out, they are offering a special deal, the set is normally $780, going to be on sale for $500. Thats just one set. I figure at a very rough estimate that after 20 years in the ministry, and eleven years of higher education, I figure I have at least 20 grand stuck in books. Or more. A few years ago when my Dad retired and was disbursing most of his library I vowed I was going to cut back on my book spending. I have, most of the time, but once in a while the bug hits me and I buy a bunch again.

17. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, I was in the bookstore today.... thank goodness I get paid Friday and can pick up the books and the parking permit next week. Unfortunately, I can't set up tutoring sessions until next week.

So, the status of the books...
    * Spanish - New edition, so only new book package.
    * Word Processing - New edition, so only new book package.
    * Speech 10 - Only books I can pick up used.

At least $200 oop...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.