1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Football is upon us

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Msguy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Are we going to have ESPN Gameplan in HD this year? If not, it needs to be. This Saturday marks the return of College Football and ESPN Gameplan.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It won't be in HD per Satracer.

Don't forget, the season starts Thursday night. Times below are Central.
    Marshall at Ohio State 6:30 p.m. BTN (HD)
    Minnesota at Middle Tennessee 6:30 p.m. ESPNU (HD)
    Northern Illinois at Iowa State 6:30 p.m. (CSNC / CSNBA / FSN affiliates) (HD)
    Southern Miss at South Carolina 6:30 p.m. ESPN (HD)
    Towson at Indiana 6:30 p.m. BTN | DirecTV - 611 (SD), 611-1 (HD)
    DII: West Texas A&M at Grand Valley State 7:00 p.m. (CBSC / SPSO) (HD)
    Pittsburgh at Utah 7:30 p.m. Versus (HD)
    USC at Hawaii 10:00 p.m. ESPN (HD)

3. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Actually college starts Thursday on ESPN.

^^
    sig added the sched.

4. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Why is DirecTv dragging there feet getting these games in HD? I Felt the Games should have been in HD 2 seasons ago and they weren't then and still aren't going to be now. What Gives? Why can't they get these games in HD?

5. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I know College Football Starts this coming Thursday evening, But I'm talking about Gameplan.

6. DBSooner

DBSooner Legend

Sep 23, 2008
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2542479&postcount=28

If you can get espn3 I would use that instead.

7. cfkane

cfkane AllStar

Mar 14, 2010
    I know that I am going to watch the San Jose State @ Alabama game in the best possible definition....I'm going to be in the stands at Bryant-Denny stadium!!!

8. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm surprised people even sub to GP anymore. Other than ABC's regional games, most are available with Sports Pack. I find the best games every week are usually televised.

9. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I don't think it's DirecTV problem. If a game isn't HD, they can't show it HD.

Also, for people with the Sports Pack, here's some links that might give you some alternatives from the national telecasts:

http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule

http://mattsarzsports.com/football2010.aspx

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/cfb/

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
  11. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What would the point of that be?:confused:

12. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    If they did, they would probably end up charging money for it. Also, right now, a lot of the "local" games still seem to be in SD. Over all though, DirecTV + Sports Pack + ESPN3 makes Gameplan obsolete. Let's hope the powers that be don't catch on or we will be seeing college black outs too.

13. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I just wish ESPN3.com was open to more providers. They don't have a deal with my ISP...Time Warner/RR. Oh well, I'll just use the "other" sites if needed. ;)

14. RandyOH

RandyOH New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    I think you missed one game. Idaho vs. South Dakota is on Altitude.

15. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    It's not DirecTV dragging their feet. It's ESPN. DirecTV has wanted to broadcast the games in HD last year and again this year but ESPN declined.

16. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    It's possible that ESPN can't be completely to blame either. Technology costs money and when numerous events are going on at the same time, I've seen ESPN cut back on HD coverage for some of them. ESPN, through ABC and their other networks, already devote a lot of their resources to college games in HD, not counting other sports who get the HD treatment as well. With as many games in as many different locations they do show each week in HD, it's probably not cost effective to spend money on upgrades.

I do agree that it isn't DirecTV's fault. If it's not filmed in HD, it can't be shown in HD.

17. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    And next week???
    I hope we can be competitive:)

Welcome to the Big 10:)
    Best team we could have added in my opiniion and experiencing Nebraska fans in Lincoln in 1979 (?) and at Penn State. Very classy fans:)

18. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    As primarily a Big 12 viewer ('Horns), I agree about the Huskers. I will miss them in the Big 12 but they're going to (imo) a great conference. I love watching those Big 10 games as well on their network. Great traditions in the Big 10. Paterno's an all-time coach.

19. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Thanks! College football is so much better when the fans let the teams do the battling, and the fans treat each other with the same respect the teams do before and after the game. I love what the Fellowship of Christian athletes (FCA)has done with a post-game prayer. The greatest example I've seen when Ohio State came together in support of PSU's Adam Taliaferro, when he was in injured in Columbus.

20. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Truthfully, what does Christianity have to do with it? Based purely on their names, I can't be sure of Jewish players, but many names I've seen at least suggest Muslim heritage. Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, secular, I've never seen how that effected fellowship within knitted groups. To specifically point out one belief system over others, even if you didn't realize what you were doing, is truly offensive. It makes it sound like any non-Christians don't care about other people and non-Christians (in total) make up the majority of the world.