1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College student wanting TV!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CPN706, Aug 19, 2010.

1. CPN706

CPN706 New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Hey I have been out on my own for almost 2 years now and I don't think I will be able to make it through this year without TV.. especially ESPN with football season coming up and all lol

My biggest concern about getting TV on my own is the darn contracts involved with them, 2 years might not sound like a long time but for me so much can happen in 2 years, I just dont feel safe in getting a contract.

Considering im extremely strapped on cash, Direct TV apparently has a deal where I only have to pay 34-40 bucks for 12 months depending on if I want Choice or Choice xtra. after the 12 months it will go back to regular pricing.

I was wondering if I cancel during the 12 months or after the 12 months will I be charged an outrageous cancellation fee. I know Dish has a 24 month agreement on all their packages..

I dont want anything special.. I just want to watch ESPN... thats all I ask for really and mabe a few other channels here and there.

Any help would be gladly apreciated, thank you.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It's a $20/month penalty for canceling early.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Any of the standard deals come with a 2-year commitment.

But, if you talk to DirecTV, and let them know you need a no-commitment plan, they have plans where you own the receivers and have no commitment. It's really a great deal, and though you pay up-front, you eliminate the commitment. And since you own the HD-DVR, you could sell it and recoup some money if you have to leave DirecTV later.

Likely you'll have to play a bit of CSR Roulette to get one who even knows about these deals (intended for folks with some cash to spend but horrible credit), but they are available.

• Customer can purchase equipment if:
      • Don't want to or can't provide a credit card number at point of sale.
      • Don't want to or can't provide a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).
      • Prefer to own equipment and not lease it from DIRECTV.
    Price/Credit:
    • Select only 1 of following equipment options: (Sales tax applies.)
      • 2 Standard Receivers:
        • $149 plus $50 activation.
      • 1 DVR and 1 Standard Receiver:
        • $249 plus $50activation.
        • AK/HI customers receive HD receiver instead of standard.
          • No additional cost.
      • 1 HD Receiver and 1 Standard Receiver:
        1. $249 plus $50 activation.
      • 1 HD-DVR and 1 Standard Receiver:
        • $249 plus $50 activation.

4. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    I thought standard receivers only came with a 1 year commitment, even for new customers.

5. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    That use to be the case a few years ago I think until 2007 or so, then it became an 18 month agreement for standard in 2008 or so, now its 24 months regardless if standard or advanced.

6. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    I hate to say it, but with the OP's limited resources and desire not to have a two-year commitment, he might just be better going with cable. At least around here, they always have a couple of pretty cheap new customer offers without a commitment.

7. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Or just use the services from ESPN.COM and NFL.COM -- might be cheaper in the long run.

8. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I think the best answer is putting a Slingbox in your folks place if that's possible.

9. caaarlo

caaarlo Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    If you are on campus and going over a school network, you should be able to access ESPN3.com, perhaps it might be enough for you.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Many posters here have said that DirecTV will not activate a new account without a commitment. Do you know of anyone who actually did subscribe to DirecTV (as a new customer) without a commitment?

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Over on "the other site," one of the major contributors there said they were able to sign their grandma up with owned equipment on a new, non committed account.

12. CPN706

CPN706 New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks guys, alot of help here. Forget cable, those guys charge so much around here its ridiculous.

I am thinking about just going ahead and signing up for a 24 month commitment... Oh well hopefully ill make it through the next 2 years without ending up with bad credit lol.

I use to be really big into FTA and stuff but those days are long gone, I never heard of a slingbox.

I'm not still able to get those special promotions with an owned box will I?

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Probably not. Those "new customer" promotions are based on the cost of getting (and keeping) a new customer for 2 years. I'd be very happy just to get DirecTV service as a new customer at the regular price without a commitment.

14. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
  15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is a DirecTV program, where you are buying (not LEASING) the equipment directly from DirecTV, so, yes, I'm sure.

As I stated, this program is rarely used and most CSRs are probably not familiar with it, given that 99.9% of customers want all the free-upfront deals that come with leased equipment. Some may tell you it doesn't exist because they've never done one, but it certainly does exist, and supervisors will usually set them straight and help them find the info they need to process the order in their Help System.

16. sunking

sunking Godfather

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm going to be the grumpy old man and say that if you get everything you want while you are in college where is the incentive to do well make yourself a better life?

17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    sunking, where did you go to school? In a monastery?

The OP wants to watch ESPN. I never realized not watching sports was part of being a broke college student.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The university I attended had cable in the dorms with certain channels unavailable due to content but ESPN was there. I didn't have a lot of time for TV anyways with all of the studying.

When I moved off campus I had TV but I don't remember watching it much. Either I didn't and found other things to do or the shows I "couldn't live without" ended up being just that memorable. There are a few shows that were on when I was in college that I have been able to see in reruns/DVDs.

People need some time to relax so I'm not knocking watching TV while at college completely, but perhaps you can save some money and watch ESPN and other programming with other people in an environment where you don't have to pay for your own subscription?

19. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I didn't own a TV until I was 26. But I can hardly begrudge a student for saying that it is important to him. Part of college is learning to make choices. The OP has made two in that wants TV, and he'd like DirecTV. Great. It means he can go out drinking maybe three times a month less often. Sounds like a fine trade-off to me.

My only advice would be cable might make more sense if it is available. No commitment and no up front costs.

20. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Agree. When I recently called TWC Support, one of the first prompts was "Press '1' if you're a college students. Otherwise, press '2'." It seems like they would make an offer to a college student who: a) was on a budget, and b) wasn't looking for a long term commitment. One of the advantages of cable, unlike satellite always looking for long-term customers.