1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colonoscopy

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'm schedule for Thursday.

It will be my third. The worst part is drinking that god awful stuff followed by the throne sitting.

And the not eating the day before is no picnic either.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That's what you have to love about getting old. Doctors suddenly take keen interest in parts of you they previously ignored.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I didn't mind the not eating nor the pre-procedure drink. It was the conversation about good barbecue places to go to for lunch that got to me.

My colonoscopy was mid-morning and the medical staff was hungry. Although I wasn't thinking about hot barbecue sauce during the procedure (or then again, maybe I was), I joined in on the conversation. "Ever been to John Hardy's in Rochester, Minnesota?" They'd heard about it. "You have to try the medium sauce at least."

I have my annual physical end of this month and I know a second colonoscopy is coming up. Maybe I should schedule it for mid-afternoon. I might learn about a cool joint for a cocktail.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Honestly... when I first saw the thread title...

I thought you were going to be referring to the CBS Cares Promotion
    http://www.cbs.com/cbs_cares/

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I've had two, don't need my third for another 3 years (when I reach 50).

I don't mind the not eating, but that stuff you have to drink is just gross.

The actual procedure is nothing more than a quick nap.

6. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I go to Rochester several times a year on business. Good eats.

7. STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Had my 5th one this past Thursday. Used the pills rather than the drink. Much better I think. Next one not for 5 years.....yea. Once your reach 70 it is just patch, patch, patch.

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sounds like a PITA.

9. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I tried getting the good tasting stuff, but the doc insisted the nasty does a better job.

10. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have to get one every three years and I am due this fall. Last time they found a cancerous polyp but got it all before it spread.

As much as I hate doing these I am so glad I did. My wife enjoyed whatever it is I said when I woke up, but she won't tell me what it was.

11. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Make sure the drink is chilled really well and use a straw. Helps run the drink right past your tastebuds. Works like a charm.

Also lots and lots of jello. It worked for me and I wasn't hungry the whole day.

12. mstanka

mstanka Legend

Jan 25, 2003
    Yep. Been there done that several times. The nurse gave me some advice: use those flushible wipes as they make your backside not as sore during the prep

I ad my first one about 6 yeas ago and us a combo of laxatives and a small bottle of "something". That something was taken off the market my last procedure so used the Rx that you drink in two installments. I never remember the procedure. They just make you comfy on your side and night-night!

Good luck with your procedure.

Michael

13. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I turn 50 in a little over a year. I've been dreading these events. Really, who wants someone looking into you bunghole? I guess it is inevitable. :( Good luck man!

14. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I got hemorrhoids after my last one.

It added injury to insult.

15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's a pity this procedure can't be done by proxy. I can think of several people I would nominate on my behalf.

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I absolutely detest the whole procedure....

17. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I had one 3 years ago and got a call just two weeks ago from the doc. He said I should get another.

I always wonder about people who go into this type of doctoring...

18. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    $$$$$$......When I drove my wife to where she was having her procedure we passed the row of reserved parking spaces for the doctors. The spot reserved for her doctor had a Mercedes-Benz sitting in it.

19. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    +1000!!

20. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    So do I, but he was the one that figured out the right med for my diabetes digestive issue. So I have put him above the others I see.