1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color Shift on DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by slovell, Oct 18, 2018.

1. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    A couple if nights ago at about 1 am, the color and sharpness shifted on my tv while I was watching a show on Velocity and has been that way ever since. The picture's contrast and sharpness softened and color looked looked washed out. Greens took on a yellowish tint along with yellows taking on a greenish tint. Reds are a bit orangish. It's not unwatchable but I can definitely see a difference. I worried it was my 6 year old Panasonic Plasma giving up but when I change over to Amazon or Netflix everything is the same as it was before, excellent. That rules out the Panny failing IMHO. I can also see the change on my bedroom tv when tuned to Direct. Does anyone have any idea what's caused this? Should I call Direct and get a service call? I seem to vaguely remember this happening a few years ago and it lasting for a month or so but I could be mistaken.
    Thanks, Sam

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Is DirecTV, Amazon and Netflix going to the TV on the same HDMI input or are they on separate inputs ?
    The only similar thing I have experienced is on my Samsung when I had ECO turned on. It would go dim in a short time and it drove me nuts until I found out what it was. Of course that problem would affect all inputs and providers since it was a TV setting.

3. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Direct dvr has it's own HDMI input.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would try swapping the Input with one of the others to see if it makes a difference.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And also try different HDMI cables.

But the TS also said it was happening on two different TVs. For the TS, what two DIRECTV devices feed those two TVs?

6. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Genie Gen 2 (HR44-200) in my living room and a Genie Mini (C41-500) in my bedroom. I've tried switching HDMI cables, inputs, etc but the weird color and contrast still remains. It's subtle but it's definitely there. The picture was perfect one second and a bit washed out and soft the next. Maybe my Panny plasma is giving up and having some sort of problem. I hope not, I love this tv.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    So with your setup both pictures are coming from the HR44.
    Sounds like your HR44 is having the problem. I would call DTV and talk to them about replacing it.

8. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Going to do that this afternoon, thanks.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Make sure you take pictures of each of the Series to Record screens so you can easily set them back up.
    Remember, all your recordings will be gone once the receivers are swapped. If there are things you have not watched you might want to do that before swapping the receiver.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good choice. I've had 10-12 (lost count) Panny plasmas since 2006-7 and never saw anything like you've seen. When I bought each one I compared them to LCDs and always went plasma. Like you, I loved them. Then I got my first 4K set and ended up with just one plasma and that's gonna be gone soon. There are better sets out there.

Rich

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Similar: I have a 58" Sammy plasma that is as good as the day I bought it six years or so ago. But I don't watch it, as it looks crude compared to a 43" Sammy 4K set. I may give it to my son-in-law.

Rich likes this.
  12. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Just got off the phone with Direct, that was fun. Your tv is bad, your input is bad, we'll sell you a warranty that you can't use on this tv, geez. Finally got them to send a service tech next week and I already know how that will turn out. you never know, could be an aging LNB or wiring. We'll see.

jimmie57 likes this.
  13. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I'm sure there are, been looking at OLED's lately but there's just not much 4K content out there yet but that'll change. I'm retired and on a fixed income so I have to consider the cost of upgrading. I'm not unsatisfied with my present setup at all and really haven't the urge to upgrade but I'll do it if necessary.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Check the output resolution under audio video in the info banner. Also check the TVs av settings vs other inputs.

15. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Got any suggestions for a new 55" to 65" tv around $1500.00? How do the 4K tvs perform on standard hi-def?

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    pretty good, but depend on the UHD TV
    you could find reasonable price at Fry's, online if have no near you

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    LG 65SJ9500 $1410.74...Samsung QN55Q7FN $1499.99...Sony XBR-65X850F $1399.99.

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Honestly, check out the newer TCL Roku 4k sets at Best Buy. I was a HUGE plasma guy before this set and I am highly impressed. The prices make you think that they are crappy but they really are excellent.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wait for the Black Friday sales. You will see 65" Samsungs for around that price. I'd suggest focusing on the Series 8 sets or higher. I have an 8500, an 8000 and a 9000 and I see very little difference in them. The Series 8 sets have a refresh rate of 240, that's what I look for. Makes for a very stable picture. You might find a QLED at that price, next big TV I buy will probably be a QLED. No matter what folks say about them.

How do the 4K TVs perform with an HD feed? Better than anyone expected. The upscaling engines in these sets are amazing. I had the opportunity to compare 1080p plasmas to my JS8500 and...every plasma but one is gone and that one will be gone by Xmas. The 4K sets are wonderful. Wait for Nov. 23 when the sales begin.

Rich

Laxguy, Wolfmanjohn and jimmie57 like this.
  20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Interesting Nick. Do you see any juddering? I bought my granddaughter a 1080p TCL a few months ago. Didn't cost much and she loves it. It has Roku built in and it's so slow a Fire TV Stick would be a better choice. I gather you see no such problems on your set?

Rich