1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combine HR20 & HR10?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Adamantium, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adamantium

Adamantium Cool Member

May 4, 2003
    Last year I purchased a Jacked up HR10-250 thru Weaknees that would record 250 hours of HD, today I've had the HR20-100 installed. Since my HR10 is now obsolete can I transplant the Hard Drive(s) from it into the HR20 to increase the storage capabilities? Is there a better route to take in order to increase storage? I'd prefer to have internal storage but am not limited to it? Thx for the guidance!!

2. ecr72

ecr72 AllStar

Sep 14, 2007
    The drive(s) in your HR10-250 are PATA and will not work. You need a SATA drive or external eSATA drive for the HR20.

There's still a market on ebay for the HR10, especially ones jacked up with bigger drives. One capable of 250 hours would fetch more than enough to put a 750GB or 1TB SATA drive in your HR20 or in an eSATA enclosure.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Do a search on eSATA. There are a lot of good threads/posts that will help you.

In a nut shell....

You can't(easily..) replace the internal drive. Opening the box invalidates the lease.

Connecting an eSATA(external Serial Advanced Technology Attachement) drive will disable the internal drive and system will use the external drive.

You can't combine them.

You will have to setup you SLs as they are on the internal, disabled, drive.

You can disconnect the external drive to to watch anything you have internal drive and reconnect and any time.

There's much more. Search...Read...Learn...there's plenty who know more than I :)

Mike

4. Adamantium

Adamantium Cool Member

May 4, 2003
    You Guys Rock, thanks! Let the studying begin!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.