Combine OTA and Sat Signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by utbronco, Sep 22, 2011.

1. utbronco

utbronco Mentor

Dec 26, 2007
    Sorry if this is a current duplicate. I have searched for an answer but can't quite find exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a SWM-8 and Multi Room Viewing 3 HR24s. I have one location that I would like to have the capability to not only use the HR24 but I would also at times like to see the OTA signal from my Attic Antenna. The Attic Antenna isn't close to the SWiM-8. Can I use a Directv Diplexer at a convenient location to combine the Sat Signal for my HR24 with the Attic Antenna and then use the Directv Diplexer again to separate the signals, one for the HR24 and one for the regular Antenna input on my HDTV.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This is the killer " Multi Room Viewing 3 HR24s."
    DECA and OTA are in the same band, so you can't diplex. :nono:

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd run a separate line from the antenna to the TV. This way you won't have any insertion losses by using a diplexer (even if you could :)).

4. KMA001

KMA001 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    The SWM signal and the OTA signal are incompatable and cannot share the same coax line going to the receiver. You have two choices.
    a) Connect the HR24 to the TV via an HDMI cable and connect the OTA cable to the coax port on the back of the TV and use the TVs turner. Then you switch back and forth between the HDMI input and the OTA TV input. But you can't record anything.
    b) Call the folks at Solidsignal.com about the $70 DIRECTV AM21 Off-Air Dual Tuner that is compatable with HR21/PRO HR22 HR23 H24 and HR24(AM21) and how and what you need to hook it up. Then you can use your DVR for OTA TV.

This DIRECTV Off-Air Tuner is the perfect solution for adding outstanding DVR functionality to terrestrial broadcast transmissions.Designed to work seamlessly with the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR, this specialized tuner will integrate ATSC broadcast high-definition channels directly into the DIRECTV on-screen Advanced Program Guide.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    No, the SWM signals are out of band with OTA, so they aren't the problem.
    It's the DECA [coax networking] signals that are the problem, because they are in the same band.