Combining HR54, three C61K and two HR24? using ethernet??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ERDr, Dec 17, 2016.

1. ERDr

ERDr New Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Hi

I currently have two HR24s in a central rack hooked up to internet via ethernet - whole home over ethernet approved on the account.

I'm looking to add 4k. I know I need the HR54 and C61K x3 (want three separate streams). Everything will be installed with a central rack and using HD over IP to get to the 9 TVs. I have a TV sports wall with 5 tvs and need to be able to watch 5 total streams for sports. This will be controlled with a C4 home automation setup.

I'd like to keep my HR24s active on my account. From what I've read, I'm allowed to do so and the HR54 will add the recordings to the playlist.

I'd like to keep all the receivers on my ethernet network and avoid DECA if possible. We will be upgrading the LNB to to 3D2RB or 5D2RB - we are in Buffalo and need 119 access for local SD.

Questions
    1. Will the HR24 be able to watch HD content recorded on the HR54?
    2. Will the HR54/C61k be able to watch HD content recorded on the HR24?
    3. Is it possible to avoid DECA and keep everything on ethernet as I'm already approved for whole home over ethernet with my HR24s?

Thanks for the help

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You do realize there's very little 4K content delivered by D*? That's a lot of equipment that will probably be obsolete very soon. I can answer (1) Yes and (2) Yes. Not sure about (3), but you'd be better off going the Deca route.

Rich

3. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You say you want 3 C61Ks for 3 4K streams. The HR54 is only capable of sending 1 4K stream at a time. The other C61Ks will still be functional but only for HD/SD. I am also not sure on #3, as the HR54 is capable of sending 3 streams at once (1 4K and 2 HD) I am not sure if you can send that out the Ethernet port

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You should wait a few more months before doing this.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yes, a better 4K solution is on the way - perhaps in less than three months based on FCC filings - which won't have the single stream restriction of the C61K. You aren't missing much right now since there is practically no 4K programming available yet. From anyone.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What exactly do you have today? Is this a new setup and that's why you are doing this now?

Just understand you can see only one 4K program at a time, but having that many 4K clients let you watch 4K on any of those tvs but always can watch Hi Definition on all of them.

And go deca. First that's the only way clients work. No Ethernet connection on them. Also no reason to try and do a hybrid system of half Ethernet and half deca. There's actually more reasons not to go Ethernet in your setup than there is to go Ethernet. In fact I can't think of a single reason to go Ethernet. Deca will server you much better all around.

Also what tvs do you have? Are these new 4K tvs in your sports bar? Are the RVU 4K capable samsungs or lgs or sonys? Skip the clients and go rvu to them if so. Several reasons to do that right now...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  7. ERDr

ERDr New Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of the limitations. We are moving in May so I'll be able to wait.

Sony 75" Z9D or 940D flanked by 2 x Sony 43" Z800D on each side

Thanks again!!!

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What day? We may all be coming by for a visit! Ok then planning is important for wiring but yeah wait till then to order equipment and such. What's your current plan for wiring everything? It sounds like this house is being built now?

9. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015

Link to the FCC Filings?

10. ERDr

ERDr New Member

Oct 28, 2011
    We are using a Just-Add-Power HD over IP solution. 11 Video zones, 1 Video Wall, 1 Theatre

11. ERDr

ERDr New Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Yes this would be great - I searched and couldn't find anything

12. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    HS17-100 They are listed there