1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining multiple TV 2s together

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Snydley, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    I've had 2 VIP622s for a few years now and combined their TV 2s together using 5-2050Mhz splitters to make a TV2 "trunk line" of sorts in my basement that I can connect my TVs to. There is some "noise" in the signal, but for the most part it's watchable.
    Monday I got a VIP722K for my new den and a studio, and when I try to connect this TV2 to the rest there is SO much noise that it's not watchable. I've swapped cables, and splitters and I can't get rid of it. It seems that it's not caused by the 722K itself, but the addition of a 3rd DVR. If I run just 2 it works as usual, even if one of them is the 722K. I'm sure a big part of the problem is using splitters. I'm sure there must be a better way to do this.
    What is the correct way to hook these TV2s together to get the best quality picture?
    I would like to combine all 3 TV2s in the basement of my house, and then split the TV2 connection at each receiver, running one lead into the DVRs and the other into the coax connection on my TV, since I use the HDMI connection on my TV1s. This way I can watch any DVR on any TV through TV2.
    Have any of you done this successfully? What did you use to combine the TV2 signals?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

2. rocket69

rocket69 AllStar

Oct 26, 2008
    Modulation is a hard one and to get it right using tv2 located at different parts of your home has made it more complex.

First things first how close are you to your local TV stations towers? Are any of your lines crossing a OTA antenna cable?? if so you will need to use tvfool.com or others to find out what the actual channel frequency ( some are broadcasted on uhf ch45 but show up as Ch 4 old analog channel.) use a Frequency chart and mark off the frequency of the channels that are causing interference.

Whether modulating in cable or uhf (air) you need to space out channels Ex. 45 cbs 46 dead 47 tv2 48 dead 49 fox.

Now that we got the channels fixed you might need adjustable amplifiers to offset the signal loss you have through diplexers barrels bad cable ect.. (Not all dish TV2 modulators send out the same DB as another "China")

Place the tv2 out to the in on the amp and the out to the line feeding your combiners. and have someone help you fine tune the signal as you pump up the amp .

Yes splitters can combine but don’t use them for it. Get some Chanel maser or other combiners from a good source. Used from eBay might work but no way to tell how much life they might have in them.

Tottal charge for me to do it $500-900 depending on the time required.

Parts cost
    $10-25 0-10Db amp
    3 channel combiner $10-35

3. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    :lol: Wow!

How do you explain that any two of his DVRs apparently function without problems with interfering OTA channels. Also, his distribution system is entirely shielded by his coax, albeit of unknown quality, other than to say that it works fine for any two DVRs without local OTA channel interference. It is extremely unlikely that any OTA signal is leaking into his distribution hunk of coax and causing problems as described.

The OP can better spend his $500-$900. lol

4. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Snydley,

One thought, and I'm sure you'll get better responses, is to make sure that the TV1 and TV2 modulated signals on your coax network from all three (or two) receivers are not identical nor adjacent to each other.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Exactly - at least 1 channel between all in-home modulated sources (i.e. 54, 56, 58). More is better. If you aren't putting OTA signals on this - try to stay below 60 on cable .

6. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    Thanks for the help guys,
    I guess I should have gone into more detail. I have a small 960 sq. ft. ranch house. Two DVRs are on the 1st floor about 20 ft. apart, and the 3rd is in the basement maybe 10 ft. from one and 25 ft. away from the other, approx. I live in a very rural area, 50 miles from any OTA TV station. I don't have an antenna connected, or even on my property, neither does my 1 neighbor, nor do I have cable TV service at my house. Although I do have RoadRunner broadband Internet service in my house, but the cable's not connected to my TV2 cables, or anywhere near it. I'm using new RG6 cable with good tools to assemble my cables. I've turned the modulation off on my DVRs for all TV1s, and my TV 2 modulation channels are set at 21, 48, and 69, and set on AIR. I think my problem is possibly a combination of signal loss and using splitters instead of "combiners?". Is this what I should use instead of splitters?
    I think possibly if I get 3 signal amplifiers and good combiners that will probably fix my problem. You guys know of any good parts stores on the Internet? We have nothing locally that sells anything like this.
    Thanks,
    Snyde

7. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Perhaps the agile modulators in the DVR's are generating some spurrious RF on out frequencies and it is tolerable with 2 but the third adds another layer of noise that becomes enough to overwhelm the wanted signal?

I suspect the RF modulators Dish uses are not very expensive or high quality.

8. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Have you tried lowering the channel numbers / frequency on the two higher channels??

9. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Get some amplifiers.

They can really help with signal to noise ratio and also provide separation.

You can also get a "distribution" amplifier, with four outputs. The ones I have are advertised as 12 db, but they are actually a net of 2 db per output channel. You lose that much in connection losses anyway.

Also, use only high quality RG6 cable and connectors. Make sure they are all tight.