1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining/splitting a DirecTV SWiM and OTA signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by 170Flyer, Oct 8, 2018.

1. 170Flyer

170Flyer New Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Just bought a new house and adding cabling to additional rooms. I have DirecTV SWiM. I also have an OTA antenna in the attic that I would like to use when DirecTV goes out during storms or to watch local programming. Can I combine the DirecTV signal and the OTA signal in the attic and then split them at each TV? I have a separate drop for each room. Thank you in advance.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If you don't plan to record the OTA, then just split the antenna for each TV.

3. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    No, you will need a cable for each.

4. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Maybe.

I did it at the previous house.
    Previously built and wired by the original owner for single coax at 16 locations
    I am doing it at the new house.
    Built and wired by me with dual or quad coax and dual or quad ethernet at each 5 locations.

At the previous house, I had a non-SWM 5LNB (4 outputs) dish and an attic installed LoHi VHF/UHF OTA.
    I split these signals and fed into E2 Expander connected dual SWM8's.
    This gave me 8 x 2 = 16 single coax outputs simultaneously carrying both sat and OTA to 16 dual coax wall jacks.
    Behind the wall jacks, I diplexed the single coax into two coax feeds.
    The wall jack upper coax connector OTA, the lower sat.
    In front of the wall jacks, the OTA coax was 2-way splittered into 2 coaxial lines.
    For 12 of the 16 wall jack locations, the sat coax was connected to the DVR's (HR20's, HR21's, HR22),
    one OTA line was connected to the 9 AM21's (3 were connected to the HR20 DVR OTA tuners),
    and the other OTA line was connected directly to the TV OTA connector.
    None of the DVR's were whole home capable, so no whole home, or networking, either of
    which would have conflicted with the diplexed OTA.
    The DVR networking was connected via ethernet to individual WiFi range extenders.

This configuration was ugly, but the result of the technology available at each stage.
    Initially had a 3LNB Ku dish feeding Ku HD H10's.
    Upgraded to the Ka Slimline and HR20's before SWM developed.
    Upgraded to SWM8 when developed...
    So, I kept adding to the system as new technology became available, and never replaced with
    the new "consolidated" technology, SWM LNB, etc.

At the new house, I have a 22 SWM RB5LNB dish and OTA on each side of a dual coax.
    The dual coax goes into a distribution panel and each side is connected to splitters, sat into an 8-way,
    OTA into an 8-way distribution amplifier.
    Each individual paired coaxes go to the 5 locations, 3 of those with the 4 coax connectors, two paired coaxes.
    All have pair or quad ethernet.
    Since the coax signals are not diplexed, whole home with the HR54 and HR24, which replaced a dead HR20 and HR21.
    Office DVR connected to Sling500.
    Each is directly ethernet connected to 1GB fiber (960MB down / 950MB up).
    Have 4K TV's, but still all DVR's, no C61K client added yet.

I hope your new house is wired so that it gives you the flexibility to connect sat and OTA more like the new house.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think this bolded statement below might be key:

Herdfan, Wolfmanjohn and west99999 like this.