Combining subscriptions

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by audiomaster, Dec 12, 2017.

1. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I had two houses. Each house had a Dish subscription, a Hopper with sling, couple of Joeys. One had two EHDs attached, other just used the internal drive.
    I sold one house and moved that Hopper to the other one. It works there using a Duo node I bought. They recognize each other, can see each others programming but not play or move it to the other one.
    I would like to figure out how to combine them on one acct, perhaps upgrade to a H3. BUT, I don't want to lose ANY of the recorded programs on either hopper or the EHDs. How do I do that?

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You DON'T they are on separate accounts so they can't be merged. I don't think DISH even has a solution. You could try DIRT.

3. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    What is DIRT?
    Is the content on the HD locked to the account # or the receiver ID#? If I got one o f the receivers assigned to the others account would that allow transfer?

4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    No the receiver can't be moved

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    IF the equipment is owned you should be able to close one account and move the equipment to the other account. However any content recorded under the account that is closed will become inaccessible. It is encrypted based on the account that it was recorded under. And that content cannot be re-encrypted to work with the other account.

6. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    If it had been a ViP DVR, I would say that it might work. I have successfully transferred a ViP612 and a ViP722k from one of my accounts to another account, and still had access to the recordings on the internal drive of each receiver. With Hoppers, I just don't know, because I never transferred a Hopper from one account to another. The only Hopper I have ever used was leased. The other receivers that I listed above are purchased.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One might get lucky with the content on the hard drive of the moved machine but I would not count on it.
    Any content on external hard drives tied to the old account would be lost.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You might try formatting a fresh EHD on the destination Hopper.

Mount the old EHD and the fresh EHD on a linux computer.

Copy the disharc folders from the old to the fresh EHD, these might be playable on the destination Hopper.

9. 529rvlife

529rvlife Guest

Jan 28, 2018
    gets tricky with leased recievers. If you owned them they would do whats called "re-provision" for the receiver ID # you wanted and move them from one account to the other. No issue.

The Residential Customer Agreement spells all this stuff out for the leased equipment. They would need you to send back the following to close out the one account in question: recievers, LNB, Node and access point if any back to dish in colorado. That closes out that account, but you wont be adding the leased equipment from one address to another address. Going forward you could buy your own and add it on to your still remaining existing account.

We own everything on both our residential install and our rv install down to the RG6. We signed up loved the programming then sent back all their leased equipment and bought all our own. We dont like to mix buying service from providers with equipment used on said account. there are alot of pitfalls regardless of the ease of just getting a lease. Because it turns into a pay me now or pay me later thing.

Also, you have more options when you own. you have a different limit for receivers, you have no issue with moving the equipment or doing any kind of DIY install that works for you. no limitations on where you take your boxes ect...where as the leased boxes are not to be moved from where they are installed or it becomes a liability issue with dish or DTV. doesnt make a difference.

Also, with the protection plan, it covers owned equipment the same as leased. if it goes down you will get a replacement and it will be replaced as a purchased box.

Good luck