1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast / BTN dispute

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by slice1900, Aug 10, 2018.

1. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Interesting article about this dispute. Apparently Comcast pays a flat fee for the right to show BTN out of the Big Ten footprint, so by dropping BTN outside that footprint last spring (after basketball season where it had minimal impact) Comcast wasn't actually saving any money. They were just making a statement. Or maybe testing to see how upset people would be, though honestly most BTN viewers probably wouldn't notice until football season.

At the end it references the YES dispute from 2015, and claims it as a reason why Murdoch rejected Comcast's offer and went with Disney instead. Not sure about that, these are decisions worth billions to Murdoch so basing it on personal dislike...dunno if I buy it. But on the other hand who knows, I guess he's got all the money he could ever need and then some, what's a few billion more versus getting to stick it to someone you don't like? ;)

There's a link to a commercial with some Big Ten coaches that they're running on social media (and presumably on BTN/FS1 pretty soon) Strange that Urban Meyer wasn't in it, guess that's due to his recent troubles.

Big Ten Drafts Football Coaches Versus Comcast

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    thing to know is what BTN wants? do they want basic for all with low rate out of market and higher in? Will to have it be in sports pack out of market?
    On directv it's basic for all (pac12 wanted to be the same as BTN)
    On dish basic in market. (this may be why they have pac 12 as well)
    On Comcast they still have pac12 in sports pack out of market (SD ONLY)

3. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think the big thing BTN surely wants, and what Comcast is probably objecting to, is the same thing every sports network (or local station) wants every time renewal comes around - a big increase in what they get paid. They probably don't care so much about basic package / sports package for out of market, the real money is made in the in-market areas, being in a package most people get.

4. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    BTN runs Hardee's commercials, not Hardee's/Carl's Jr. commercials. I see that as a good indicator that they don't care about out-of-market viewers.

(And I say that as a person who is a regular out-of-market viewer of BTN!)

5. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    .. or maybe that the SPONSOR doesn't care about out-of-market viewers.

6. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    is that an localized ad?

7. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yeah it is obviously the ad buyer who is making decisions about what ads to run on what channels, and since it is Hardee's in the Big Ten footprint where most of the viewers are I guess that's the ad they decided to run on BTN.

I'm not a fast food guy so I never understood the difference, or if there is a difference. Why not just call them all by the same name already?

8. zippyfrog

zippyfrog Mentor

Jul 14, 2010
    The latest Dish contract for both Big 10 and PAC 12 Networks on Dish has them both national in the Top 120+ package and above - same as SEC Network. So everyone across the country who has Top 120+ has all 3 conference channels without the need for the multi-sports pack.