Comcast Sportsnet Northwest

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mickeytwo, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 9, 2007 #1 of 16
    mickeytwo

mickeytwo New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Anybody heard any more about Comcast Sports and Dish solidifying a deal for a new channel to broadcast Portland Trailblazer games here in the northwest? Comcast is due to launch the station in Oct 2007 in time for the Blazers season. Last article I read said Dish was asking $2.00 a month charge to carry the new channel. Fox Sports and the T-Blazers have terminated coverage of the games . The Comcast -Trailblazers deal was announced in May. I can find nothing since about any negotiations with Dish.

2. Jul 9, 2007 #2 of 16
    Aransay

Aransay Icon

Jun 19, 2006
    any rsn si a welcoem additon

3. Jul 9, 2007 #3 of 16
    pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    I've not seen anything about any agreements either. I wouldn't expect to see anything until closer to channel launch in October.

4. Jul 9, 2007 #4 of 16
    Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    I'm surprised I never heard anything about it.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070521/nem113.html?.v=6 is a good starter, but not much DBS info.

It won't be another CSN Philly (thank God!), which is considered a bit of a special case because it was built purposely with no microwave links as a regional PPV channel. In the process of conversion, Comcast probably said "no microwave links". You can't even get its feed through cable Extra Innings, though they have gone to Cox 4 SD beginning this year.

5. mickeytwo

mickeytwo New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Blazers and Paul Allen announced it in May. Supposed to be 25 games in HD, split the rest with Channel 8 out of Portland. Available to satellite providers if they want to carry it. A lot of silence since then. Probably too early yet.

6. Supershooters

Supershooters Cool Member

Mar 11, 2007
    You'll see the Blazers for sure if you buy into the NBA League pass, but hopefully a deal is made otherwise - HD preferred!!!

7. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005

On NBA League Pass, he may be blacked out for the Blazers because he lives
    in the Blazers territory.

8. mickeytwo

mickeytwo New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    I'm on the Oregon coast, not sure how far the blackout extends for NBA League Pass. I'm about 75 miles from Portland. I'd buy League Pass in a heartbeat if no deal is struck with Dish and Comcast ,but if I'm blacked out from Blazer games, doesn't make much sense. Hopefully something will be worked out by the beginning of the season.

9. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    I think we are just set for one of those programming battles on this issue. After all, there simply is not enough northwest sports to get a full schedule. Now we have two different channels, each charging their own fee? Look at FSN NW's schedule - lots of infomercials, poker (not even a sport), and some other worthless junk - so now we'll have two channels dividing up the same amount of sports programming? It's not right to pay extra for a second channel (with no real increase in programming) and I hope Dish won't either.

Remember years ago and Paul Allen's failed Action Sports Network? He tried to strong arm the cable companies over coverage and no one carried it. Is this just another one of those? Obviously Comcast will carry it, but will Directv and Dish?

10. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004

Depends on how much they charge for it. Allen wanted a lot of cash and carriage on basic cable for ACSN. When he didn't get the carriage he wanted, except for Charter which he owns, he folded his hand.

Comcast is a much more savvy programmer. Based on the fast that Dish has CSNMA CSNCH and CSNW, I think it's a good bet we'll have CSNNW.

11. colavsfaninnwia

colavsfaninnwia Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Your forgetting that E* does not have Comcast SportsNet Philly.

12. tac

tac New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Will Seattle be able to receive the games? Fox Sports NW used to black out the Blazers games.

13. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    I doubt it - that's the Sonics territory. FSN NW here in Portland blacks out the Sonics games here.

Local Comcast channel 14 used to carry the Oregon Ducks games, I somehow think that will migrate over to CSN NW, but who knows since the channel doesn't begin until after football starts. FSN NW carries Oregon State. I think FSN NW covers the Washington Huskies, but we almost never see games for WSU or any Idaho teams unless they place one of the Oregon schools.

I just don't know where all this programming will come from.....

14. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    Only Comcast has Philly. It's part of the cable loophole. It's not delivered anywhere by satellite so it doesn't have to be offered to any of the DBS companies. Looking at it that way, it can't be counted .

15. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    $2.00/mo. when the only pro sports on the channel is Blazers games - Rip Off City. I don't see Dish picking this up unless they get a *much* better deal than that. And what do they show from May thru early November?

16. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    Agreed. There's never going to be enough local content to support 2 bucks a month per sub.

They'll just repurpose stuff from their other nets and make a schedule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.