1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Too expensive!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GiantsFan383, Jul 28, 2011.

1. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    I am closing on a house soon and I decided to go with Directv. I noticed that comcast is way too overpriced, even with there starter packages. Anyone notice that?

Thanks for replies

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Where Comcast gets really out of hand is their equipment charges. I would be at almost $50/mo to match what I have now, just in equipment!!

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Another reason it's commonly refered to as "Comcrap".

4. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    It amazes me that there starter package with 1 dvr is 159.99 a month for there triple play. I have cablevision right now where i live and i am paying under 100 bucks for all three, granted it was there special promotion from taking me from satellite but still. I am looking forward to going back to Directv.:)

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Holy crap!!!!

I just priced out what I have now, and at Comcast I'd be at $188/mo!!! Wow.

EDIT: And that's with crappy 20 hour DVR's and no MRV.

6. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    Unfortunately, I was once a comcrap customer and you can't trust their advertised pricing. Basically, you sign up for bundle deals (which are often dramatically cheaper than competitors) and when they expire you call and ask for a lower bill.

What comcrap allows is for customers to call and complain about their high bill and they lower it. Do this over and over and comcrap is cheaper than most.

I have friends that won't change providers because of this.

I was happy to pay a bit more just to not be a comcrap customer.

7. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Here is the reason why I stay with directv & bundled with qwest:
    Unlimited local and long distance + 12mbps internet + Choice Extra w/2hd dvr's & 1 hd receiver = $138/month including taxes (non promo rate)

Comparable comcast rate = $198 not including taxes (and that's the promo price)

I will admit that a good portion of my bill is directv (~85), but I think that I'm getting a good deal.

8. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm at 70/month for comcast internet and phone and 85/month for directv with 3 hr2x dvrs and 2 hr24s.

9. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    My area Comcast is about $10 more for equivalent of DirecTV's Total Choice Plus (the one with Encore). Difference is that you get 22 more channels that are carried only in SD on DirecTV in HD from Comcast.

Comcast is too much on equipment charges.

What helps is this: Take a DirecTV subscriber and a high-speed Internet subscriber (from Comcast or anyone else) and compare to a bundle subscriber with the duo of cable television and Internet. It's comparable.

10. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Giantsfan -- I have Comcast in Central NJ (Somerset County) and my cost is a few bucks a month lower with Comcast than it would be for comparable service with DirecTV. (I only have Comcast for TV, not phone/internet).

By the way, your quote of $159/month for the Comcast Triple Play is for their premium package, including the Sports tier, HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Showtime plus phone and internet. This is the promo price for the first 12 months, after which the price increases to $175 for the next 12 months, and then it increases to $200 per month.

The comparable package on DirecTV, without phone/internet is $84 per month, after which the price increases to $115. So if you can get phone + internet for less than $75 per month ($85 after two years), then DirecTV would be cheaper.

If you want the Comcast Triple Play starter pack, that is only $99 per month for the first 12 months.

Also, don't forget there is no contract with Comcast. DirecTV locks you into a 2-year agreement.

11. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    Upstream,

I signed up with the D and verizon bundle. All 3 services will be 79.99 a month and 96 dollars after the 1st year that is including 1 hd dvr and 1 hd receiver and standard receiver with the whole room dvr and directv cinema,nfl sunday ticket. The 99 dollar special comcast has does not include the dvr in the 99 dollar price. you have to go up to the 159.99 package to get that and that is just 1 dvr. it seems like the directv verizon bundle is much cheaper. Even though I have to go with DSL, i just hope my internet does not really suck because I never had dsl before..so we'll see.

12. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    I agree. I do know a lot of people who complain to Comcast Retention and get discounts. I used to have HSI from them and whenever a promo ended, I would call in to complain because I could switch to ATT DSL and be on their promo. They would give me a bunch of great deals almost every time.

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I actually don't know anyone who has been turned down by Comcast when they call to ask for a discount after their promotional pricing (or last discount) expires.

14. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    The $79.99 Verizon bundle is a great deal.

For the Comcast $99 bundle, you can add the HD DVR for an additional fee without upgrading to the $160 bundle. But either way, the Verizon bundle is cheaper.

Verizon DSL has two speeds. The lower speed is a bit pokey, but the higher speed is suitable for most people.

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    A Comcast man came to our door yesterday and started to say how great Comcast is. I said I had Dish but he tried to come in. I quickly slammed the door in his face. You don't about people.

16. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    but the $99 deal is starter lacking many big channels

you need preferred at like $15 more + sports pack to get in my area speed, fox movie channel, TVG, Centric, Military History, Hallmark Movie Channel, Crime & Investigation Network, Tennis Channel and few other sports channels.

17. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    Upstream,

It is .5 to 1mbps..is that suitable?

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Most people, even big streamers don't do much up. It's sending email, uploading to Flicker, YouTube etc. and some of those likely aren't often.

19. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    not be a defender of any of the choices in tv providers, but I did check on the comcast website there dvr's are now at 60 hours of HD programming on a 500gb hd, or 300 hours of SD programming.

Just a FYI

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It's a crapshoot with cable. Every system is different.