1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast vs. U-Verse, which one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by redfiver, Aug 19, 2010.

1. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    I am moving next week and don't know which service to choose for my high speed internet. I have Comcast now as it's the only high speed available. But at my new location, I can choose between Comcast or U-Verse. Both are similar in price. So, with price not the issue, which one should I choose?

I have noticed some slow down via Comcast at certain times during the day (shared bandwidth in my heavy usage neighborhood...), that I shouldn't get via U-Verse, but it hasn't been enough to make me cancel comcast. I'm not a fan of comcast's TV offerings, but the internet has seemed to work well. Thoughts?

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    From the negatives I hear about U-Verse, I'd stay with Comcast. In fact, I seriously considered U-V but decided against it and stayed with the Big C.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Honestly, you'll need to talk to folks in your new neighborhood and ask them about performance, and then compare prices. UV simply doesn't work well everywhere. The more copper you have between you and the fiber node, the worse your performance will be. Cable tends not to have that problem, not that it doesn't exist, but because they've already had to deal with it to get TV working.

4. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I guess I'm biased because I refuse to have Comcast ever installed again at my house. I've had U-Verse for about 1.5 years now and it works great for me. The only thing I don't care for is their router. To get around that, I just hooked my Linksys to their router and I run everything but my Vonage line off the Linksys. On the router front, it just doesn't seem to have the flexibility to assign ports to specific IP's like you do with the Linksys guys. The other thing you'll need to consider is how much upload speed you need. That's where the cable guys are nice. You get nice upload speeds. U-Verse is going to cap you around 1.5M up (it may go to 3, but I'd have to check). If upload isn't that big a deal, I'd say give them a try. Not sure if the cable guys are still doing PPOE, but I don't have that mess with U-Verse. I also have a pretty static IP. I'm sure it's assigned via DHCP from AT&T somewhere. However, over the past 1.5 years, I think I'm still on my initial IP.

5. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    My current comcast set up is not PPPoE, so I don't think the new one would be either.

Upload speeds aren't that important to me, when I do uploads, I just set it and forget it. Gotten used to them going slow and doing them in the middle of the night. I have the same IP from comcast as well. I've refreshed it manually a couple of times.

back when I had DSL, I didn't use the provided router either. I just plug it directly into my own router, and I route Vonage through that one as well.