Comcast X1 set top box outputs audio when it's OFF

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by MoreCowbell, Aug 30, 2020.

1. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell New Member

Feb 6, 2020
    I have an X1 set top box which is connected a flat screen with a sound bar. That works just fine.

On the back of the X1 box is a pair of RCA audio ports. When the box is turned off (via remote), everything's off, as you'd expect. Mysteriously though, when I connect my headphones to the RCA ports, I hear audio for the last channel selected before the box was shut off !!!!

To anyone (hopefully) familiar with the Comcast X1 box, how on God's earth could this be happening?

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    When you turn the box off it doesn’t actually turn the box off. It shuts down the HDMI port

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell New Member

Feb 6, 2020
    Thanks for your quick response CompNurd. I think your comment is spot on right, though this behavior puzzles me. Sounds like the X1 box remains in "stand by" mode even when it's "off".

What I actually wanted to do is use that RCA audio port to monitor my Sanyo DVD player's audio with headphones. I have a bidirectional HDMI splitter that takes feed from both the X1 box and my DVD player (an internal toggle switch controls which source is used). For some reason, I was thinking (hoping) that when a DVD was playing, I could monitor the audio in this way. But in fact, the DVD plays fine but I hear the TV channel last selected, as I described earlier.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    All proper DVRs are up and running 24/7. Because the X1 is a "whole home DVR", it needs to be awake to make recordings and serve recordings to client boxes when it is in stand by.

How DVRs deal with not being actively viewed varies. Some turn off HDMI while others go to a screen saver.

5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    ---

I believe DirecTV's THR22 (TiVo) outputs audio in standby position when left tuned to one of the music channels.

(For whatever that's worth.)