Coming back to D* - the rest of the story

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lparsons21, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1 of 26
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Some here may remember my recent foray into returning to Direct. It wasn't a success story and it was irritating for me.

First the back story. When I first called D* to try to come back, they offered 2 free HDDVRs and when I accepted, they then declined to do it. Then they came back with one free and one for $70, when I decided that was OK, they then declined to do that too. They did make a 3rd offer, but by then I was perturbed and don't remember what it was, only that it was worse than the national new customer offer.

So then I decided I'd go through a local dealer. No go. Now I can't figure out why D* is making it so hard to come back in spite of the nearly weekly snail mail from them and the more often email. So I fumed for a bit and finally emailed the Office of the President (i.e.; Ellen Filiapak(?)).

I got a call from them today and we discussed the issues. The reason the dealer couldn't do anything is you have to be gone a full 2 years before independent dealers can set it up, I was very slightly less than that. As to the offers and then no deals, she didn't have a clue but assured me she would check.

Now she is having 2 HR24s, which I insist on having, shipped directly to me and then a tech will be scheduled to come next week and install them and MRV with the Cinema Connection kit. I'm waiting for the email confirmation now, hopefully this will all go smoothly.

My son will be tickled that he'll be able to watch his San Diego Chargers, I'll be tickled that I don't have to listen to him cry about not getting to see them up till now... :) I'll gain slightly better HD, lose a few HD channels I like and can now join the ongoing saga of the HD anticipation thread as an official participant!! :)

2. Aug 9, 2011 #2 of 26
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Need a refer-a-friend? ;)

3. Aug 9, 2011 #3 of 26
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The won't allow refer-a-friend on a returning customer, I already tried that! Thanks for the offer though.

4. Aug 9, 2011 #4 of 26
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Is Sigma begging for friends again?

5. Aug 9, 2011 #5 of 26
    Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Good luck.... :D

6. Aug 9, 2011 #6 of 26
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You'll give in one day. You're only a short drive away. :lol:

7. Aug 9, 2011 #7 of 26
    mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Yeah, good luck getting those two HR24's. It's often been repeated here that Directv can't guarantee any particular model, it's all random from the warehouse. But if you do indeed get them, congratulations!

8. Aug 9, 2011 #8 of 26
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It's different if the customer care department is mailing them directly as opposed to whatever the tech has on the truck.

9. Aug 9, 2011 #9 of 26
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Which is exactly what is happening. They are sending HR24s direct to me and not to the tech. Then the tech will come out to do the install. Around here, normally you can get a new install with whatever is on the truck within a day or two. But this one won't be installed until next week to ensure the HR24s get here first.

Edit: Just got a confirming email that says they have shipped 2 HR24s to me direct. One little glitch is they don't have free HD on the deal, I'll talk to them tomorrow to set that up.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    A followup - the two HR24s showed up today, now just waiting until Tuesday for the install.

I noticed that they are marked HR24-500-C-R, so I'm assuming these are refurbs?

They look brand new, but mfg date is 11/xx/2010. As long as they work and look good, I don't care.

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I believe the C is that it comes with cords (as opposed to a replacement which wouldn't necessarily need to have cords shipped) and the R is for refurb.

Welcome back!!!

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Nice guess, of course it is wrong!! :) No cords except the power cord in the box.

The install was today and the installer did a very good job, including fiddling the damned dish 'cause it wouldn't verify the install. Rather weird too, all signals were great, but it just wouldn't pass. So he got back on the roof, did some dish wiggling and I kept running the install verification test while on the phone with him.

All went well, although there was a little hiccup with what was supposed to be free and such, but an email to Customer Care and then a phone call from them and we got it all straightened out.

I'm set at Premier right now, getting $31/month off the bill for a year, plus another $45/month for 3 months for the premiums. D* kicked me to Premier when I added the Sports Pack. Speaking of that, I was just in time adding that pack to get some boxing right away. Couldn't ask for more than that!!

I'll keep it that way for the 3 months and then juggle the premiums around to suit whatever's on that I want to watch, generally that means 2 premiums.

The HR24 is very nice, compact and attractive, it is also damned quick! I think it is as fast or nearly as fast as my Vip722k was. With Native on or off, PQ is almost exactly the same as E*'s imo, which is what I've said all along.

One issue. Tried to use the DirecTV iPad app and it won't validate the 2 HRs. It shows their ip correctly, but had a generic name of 'bedroom' for both. I went online at D* to change that around. I also kicked the ip to a fixed number inside my subnet, but outside the DHCP range. Still no joy. App doesn't see them completely yet. Each unit sees the other for MRV and both get the internet fine. For info, this is a SWM/Deca install.

I'm very pleased with this switchover. Getting more boxing than I had available in HD with E* and that's a plus. The negative is no BBCA or AMC in HD. I will say that on this calibrated 54" Panasonic plasma, the SD isn't horrible though it isn't anything to write home to mother about either! :)

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Glad it went well overall. Hope you get your iPad worked out. That thing is cool.

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Regarding the iPad stuff...Did you adjust the settings on the DVRs to allow other devices to access and send info? I forget how to get there.

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    On the iPad stuff, it now is picking up the name I gave the dvrs even though it won't validate them. It has the correct ip addresses, so it has tone seeing something. Maybe all the downloading to the dvrs that takes about a day needs to be done???

Btw, I may be munching on a small crow on the hd pq issue. For the movie and basic hd channels, I stand by my statement that I can't discern a difference. But on the sports channels I have looked at, it is VERY noticeably better. :)

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Aha, maybe it is just a sw download away from having the iPad app working. I just looked and the sw is dated in September.

A question. I know the cig guide is still not right, which probably affects auto record, but what is the downside if I use it?

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    no worries. The speed of sports usually is the difference maker.

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You see channels you actually don't get in the guide or you may miss ones you do get. Searches see all anyway.

Set your guide to all channels then look through it. The channels CIG thinks you get will be white. Those it thinks you don't will be gray.

Add: you know how to force a download, right?

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Not anymore, been too long. Give me a quick tutorial please!

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Reboot the receiver and enter the code 02468 on the remote once the lights come back on. The first few times I did it, it took a bit to get the timing down. Its slightly more complex if you're using alternate remote codes, at least on some -100s.

However, you can't force a download you're not authorized for, you really can't speed up getting a version going through a national rollout as an example.