1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming back to DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jamiecrane, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jamiecrane

jamiecrane New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Coming back after a 8 months and a move. Going to get Genie, 3 clients and an hddvr.
    Is having a client on the main tv in living room at a disadvantage compared to having genie located there?
    Also if I connect genie to Internet through cat6 or wireless, I understand it will connect clients but what about the stand alone DVR? Do I need cat6 to it?
    Thanks for the help

Jamie

2. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    1) I don't believe there's any disadvantage. With the client you have complete access to your Genie to set up recordings and the like.
    2) If you have whole home, you would have access to the DVR's recordings and the DVR would have access to the Genie's recordings through the coax.

3. jamiecrane

jamiecrane New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Thanks - that is what I thought but wanted to verify first.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One possible disadvantage:

If the client is commonly used for live tv, that is one less tuner available to the Genie for recording.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Id put the genie in the main spot, it will still be a little faster than a client, and it has pip, should you ever want to use it.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    same would apply if you would put the Genie instead

7. jamiecrane

jamiecrane New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Five tuners is five tuners correct? I mean if you are using a tuner to watch live tv - no matter where - it is one less tuner to record.
    Pip is cool and that is why I am putting the genie in the basement bar - for sports. That and it is cooler in basement and cool temps are better that warmer tips any day in the electronics world.

Does the genie come with an RF remote or do you need to order one from DTV?

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If its an hr44 yes always. If its a hr34 you need to make sure the installer gives you the Rf version of the remote. Those two models use different remotes.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I wouldn't say "always" as some markets that have recently received the 44, might not have the RC71 yet. but the customer can always order one from DirecTV

10. DornoDiosMio

DornoDiosMio New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Texas
    The RC71 remote is only $10 on Amazon last I checked and the 'other' remote has some extra buttons and is quite nice as well.

For my recent Genie + 3 client setup, I went with 1 RC71 and the rest are the 'old' ones. Mainly, because I only need RF in my room and the paper 'guidebook' the installer gives you still references the old remotes. So for my technologically challenged relatives I thought it might be easier. Additionally the old remote can control multiple devices.

I really like the 'old' remote too, and I feel as if they both have some positives/negatives. Well, the only negative with the 'old' one is the lack of RF with the HR44. I suppose you could also complain about its relatively large size, but, I'm not hard to please.

I think I'm going to buy another 'old' one, so I can have both remotes. That way I don't have to choose sides in the remote war and I can remain neutral. Then once I find out which DBS talk remote faction I want to side with, I can declare my allegiance to one remote or the other! Everybody wins! Except the 'evil' remote faction.... whoever they may be...