Commercial LNB

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by AntAltMike, Oct 14, 2008.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I was on a rooftop yesterday, looking at a LodgeNet installation, and they had a couple of four-foot DirecTV dishes with Eagle-Apsen LNBs. I scribbled the part numbers on a scrap of paper I had in my wallet, but unfortunately I've misplaced it. I think the one on the 101 dish might have been something simple like DTV101KaKU, or DTV101KuKa, but Google didn't pull up either.

One nice feature of this 99/101/103 LNB is that it had two "F" connector ports on its side for coupling in the 110/119 Ku from the other large dish.

Can anyone more precisely identify this LNB for me? Does anyone know if the 99 and 103 degree ports are spaced differently than they are on the standard residential 99/101/103 LNB portals?

One other thing about this installation. It is a Pro Idiom system, but they installed two new Blonder Tongue BTY-LP-U antennas pointed at the two UHF broadcast digital tower areas. Are the LG TVs "smart" enough to see that heterodyne converted broadcast 8VSB is not QAM and to decode it correctly? If it is possible for LG Pro-Idiom capable TVs to integrate QAM DirecTV Pro Idiom with hetwerodyne converted 8VSB converted to cable channels, then including broadcast HDTV will cost about $1,500 per channel less if added that way.

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
  3. double

double AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    can you use the 1.2 meter dish for the 95 and 72.5 international programming feeds? if so what LNB would you use?

4. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    95 uses a linear H/V LNB not circular one as most DBS sats use.
    Standard single LNB can be used for 72.5.
    Search in FTA forums

Doctor j

5. double

double AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    thanks doc, i am originally from the hoover/vestavia area of birmingham, born and raised. i moved away about 3 years ago. lived off of rocky ridge road. you are the third bhamer ive seen here in 2 days

6. DF Wavelength

DF Wavelength Mentor

Apr 29, 2009
    Yes, an LG TV can tell the difference between a converted broadcast 8VSP channel and a QAM Pro Idiom channel. And they will tune to both types correctly. However, they are very slow tuning to the QAM channels.

We have used Blonder Tongue DHDC-UV and DHDC-DV converters to take the 8VSP from the antenna, and down convert to whatever CATV channel we choose. The only adjustment to make is RF output level. Very easy.

On most Pro Idiom headends I have seen, this is the method they use to distribute local HDs.
    Still expensive, but it has to be less than paying for every channel through a Pro Idiom enabled receiver.

<One other thing about this installation. It is a Pro Idiom system, but they installed two new Blonder Tongue BTY-LP-U antennas pointed at the two UHF broadcast digital tower areas. Are the LG TVs "smart" enough to see that heterodyne converted broadcast 8VSB is not QAM and to decode it correctly? If it is possible for LG Pro-Idiom capable TVs to integrate QAM DirecTV Pro Idiom with hetwerodyne converted 8VSB converted to cable channels, then including broadcast HDTV will cost about $1,500 per channel less if added that way.>