Commercials During Pauses

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BigFoot48, Nov 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFoot48

BigFoot48 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    Yesterday our HR44 started showing commercials when a program was paused. They start within about 20 seconds and required a "press any key" to make them go away. One is from "FirstNet - Built with ATT" which is a 5 second looping video with no sound, another is for HBOMax.

Anyone else seeing this and is there any way to permanently get rid of them?

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Been there for awhile and No

3. BigFoot48

BigFoot48 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    Another thing that coincided with this commercial invasion is that pressing any key on our Directv remotes was occasionally being ignored while watching a recorded program, like "pause". This is lasting 10+ seconds.

Does ATT really want me to switch to Xfinity after 20 years? Because I will.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They do. In fact you should switch today

Rich likes this.
  5. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England

If you can live without on demand, the easiest thing is to unplug the ethernet cable from the 44. Some have used ad blockers in their routers with varying level of success.

6. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    You don't want comcrap they are compressing all channels down to 720p

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I have seen this recently too . I will pause for like a minute then the first net or add shows up .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They've been around for quite a while.

There's a thread on one of the forums about blocking the DIRECTV servers that serve up the ads and there seems to be good success.

Reddit has a thread where someone has constructed a URL blacklist for the ad servers.

9. Dec 2, 2020 #9 of 32
    BigFoot48

BigFoot48 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    After doing a RBReboot about a week ago the commercial messages have disappeared. We hope permanently.

Yesterday we started getting a 10 second "Thank you for your purchase of HGTV ATT Streaming at Channel 1229" frequently even though we neither bought this free service nor bought any of its streaming programs.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They will be back lol

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    had a rep tell me that att didn't care if everyone left DTV. come on they know it's a sinking ship. the csr's don't help no new tech for DTV no added sports channels price hikes every year. they want everyone on there streaming platform. well that's what they were hoping for. but i think they screwed that up also:rolleyes:o_O

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'm curious as to why it matters if there are commercials during pause? It's not as if you want to watch them. Pause allows you to do something else (like a bathroom break or answer a phone call) and then return to the show. Another thing to consider is that these may help to keep rates lower.

MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Because it gives them something to come here and whine about.

TheRatPatrol and compnurd like this.
  14. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    If it is keeping the rates lower I'd hate to see what I would be paying without them! :D

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the reason for pausing includes not wanting to be interrupted by TV audio, then it is certainly a valid concern.

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    So how hard would it be to press the mute button on their remote? :rolleyes:

TheRatPatrol and compnurd like this.
  17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I've never seen any commercials during pause that have sound.

compnurd likes this.
  18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    If you subscribed to Directv you would know they don’t play audio

MysteryMan likes this.
  19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So how many buttons should it take to pause playback for resumption before the buffer fills? One should be enough.

We have discussed the reasons why pause should be pause in other threads (it is not a "please show me an advertisement" button ... or even a "please show me a screen saver button"). Most of it is personal preference - customers who want the screen to stop moving and show the last frame viewed (traditional "pause" behavior) vs customers who don't care what is on their screen (combined with people who believe anything AT&T|DIRECTV does is right and the company can do no wrong).

Previous discussions have suggested other workarounds such as turning off the TV when paused ... wouldn't it be easier if pause was pause? Freeze the screen and wait for further instruction? No interruptions needed?

20. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Pause is pause. As pointed out there is no volume so mute it irrelevant. As far has pause freezing the screen that hasn’t happened for close to a decade or longer on any platform to avoid burn in. All have a screensaver or ads

TheRatPatrol and MysteryMan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.