Commercials for Free Whole Home DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by BK89, Oct 13, 2011.

1. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I have seen a few commericals offering free whole home DVR setup. I am assuming this is only for new subs and they are screwing long-time customers (sounds just like the free Sunday Ticket offers this year). :(

Anyway, my parents have two HR DVRs connected via ethernet. They now have an H25 (as well as two SD receivers). What is the most cost effective way to get the H25 sharing with the DVRs? I can't run an ethernet cable to the location where the H25 is (at least not easily). Is there a wireless adapter that Directv sells? What would be the cost to have Directv setup Deca (instead of ethernet)?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DECA is included in a professional Whole Home DVR Service installation.

It is likely that with a couple DECA adapters and some band stop filters, you may be able to do it yourself for a lot less money. Of course you should see what DIRECTV is willing to do the WHDS install for before making that comparison.

You didn't offer what model of HD DVRs you're asking about so we can't tell you whether you even need the DECA adapters.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yes, it would be a big help to know what HD-DVRs they have. If they have HR24s then it could be as simple as disconnecting the ethernet cables and restarting them. If they are other models it gets a bit more complicated, especially if you prefer to keep using your ethernet network.