1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commercials we don't skip

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by jeffshoaf, Oct 22, 2009.

1. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Like most DVR users here, I tend to only watch recorded stuff so I can skip or FF over the commercials, but there are a few commercials I actually enjoy and will watch even if I'm watching a recording. Examples:
    • The Geico Gekko (well, at least for the first 10 or so times a new one comes on)
    • The Geico talking pot holes
    • Victoria's Secret
    • The Mercedes commercial where the car crashed thru the museum window

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    There aren't any. The Geico commercials are the worst of the worst, next to the lawyer disease of the week ads.

I can get a VS catalog for free anytime.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I only watch commercials at the holiday season... I enjoy the Budweiser Clydesdales, the Norelco Santa, the Coca Cola Polar Bears, the tear jerker Kodak commercials etc.,...

Commercials aren't fun these days... gone are the clever ad people who did "Where's the Beef" (Wendy's), "What Shape is Your Stomach In" (Alka Seltzer) "I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing" (Alka Seltzer), The "Flick My Bic" commercial, etc., no creativity.

4. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
  5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree.

There are very, very few ads I care to see more than once, if that (in some cases).

That's why I got HD DVR's in the first place...to skip them when required.

Other than the special Superbowl ads (not all of them), they are nothing all that creative or special.

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I skip them all with the exception of the Super Bowl, but even then I'm barely paying attention.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We tend to watch commercials with animals in them, including the Geico Gekko. Also when a commercial looks weirdly funny, we might watch it.

8. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Sonic (couples in the car are very witty - if you listen.)
    Cows (Milk Association - funniest commercials on TV today.)
    Frontier Airlines (except the latest sing-along ad.)
    Bud (sometimes.)

Absolutely hate the Geico commercials - Gekko or Cavemen or anything.

9. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Some of the Aflac Duck commercials are good. I like the one where the Duck is at a soccer game and does a great after goal dance.

10. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    That Palm Pre commercial with that weird woman creeps me out - nothing get's me to changing the channel, FFW'ding quicker than that one, not to mention to not ever want to buy their product.

11. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I usually skip all commercials unless I see something I'm interested in.

12. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Don't watch too many, but one did catch my eye the other day. I think it's a yellow pages commercial that takes place in vet waiting room. Very funny if you're not a bird lover. :lol:

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    "That'sa soma spicey a meatballa'" Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is.....

14. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I do believe I see a split second of commercial each time I press the 30sec skip button.:)

I actually end up backing up once or twice a night to watch a movie trailer or tv show ad for my wife, other than that not too often.

15. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I'm not crazy about the Geico commercials. I wouldn't stop FF'ing to watch them.

Well, yeah. ;)

I love most all Mercedes-Benz commercials. Some of my favorites were back in 2000 when the new W203 C-Class came out. There was one with a Loony Tunes theme and another where the doctor gave the guy "40 years to live, 50 tops" and he takes off running naked down the beach. Some of their European market commercials can be quite entertaining (i.e. sexy).

My favorite commercial right now is the Kohler ad where the guys flushes all sorts of things because he sees a sexy female plumber go int he house next door.

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1

17. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Yep, I like the duck!

18. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The redhead soccer mom in the Glade commercials is worth a doubletake sometimes.

19. Galley

Galley Legend

Apr 2, 2007
    Hot chicks :grin:

20. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008