commitment wrong - I urge everyone to find out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DrummerBoy523, Sep 14, 2009.

1. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I decided on a whim to find out what my commitment/agreement expiry date is and of course they had improperly extended me by almost 2 years.

I replaced a leased HDDVR under the PP last october and they extended me until 10/27/2010.

So, I called today and got to a CSR in retention who was very helpful. He noted my account and Xfered me to the access card department which then escalated the request. They said is should take 1-3 business days.

I urge everyone to find out what date DTV has in its system for your commitment date expiration and do some research.

Oh, and just because they had it wrong, they gave me 3 months of Showtime for free. Not that I'm a huge Showtime fan, but the offer was nice and unsolicited by me.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Unless you're planning to leave, what difference does it make?

You can always clear this up, if and when the time arives. No need to call the CSR's needlessly for this.

3. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I thought they were only supposed to erroneously extend your comittment if you didn't have the protection plan! :rolleyes:

4. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    I agree, everyone should call and bug them and maybe they would provide commitment info in everyone's web account like they once did. This has happened to me and many others. I finally gave up trying to get it fixed but my phony commitment is up next month. Here's a recent thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=163114

And it does matter... you never know when an emergency or misfortune might come up and you can no longer afford or use sat TV. Who needs such a hassle?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Some would say that's what the 6 month suspension of service is for. But if your contract is being extended when it shouldn't be, we shouldn't just say "Oh well, I wasn't going to cancel anyway." The more time that goes by from the improper extension and trying to fix it, the less likely it will be fixed I bet.

6. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    All i can say DrummerBoy523 is welcome to the lifetime D*membership club.You can check out any time you want but never leave.

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    There wouldn't be a need if D* would fix the darn process in the first place. This is happening way too often.

Nothing like having to argue with D* "when the time arrives", especially if its an unexpected move.

8. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    So many existing threads on this very subject.

9. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

Good. Maybe D* will listen to one of them.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    BIG difference!!

When your commitment has expired you get great offers on equipment upgrades and other things that re-start your commitment.

I asked about an HD upgrade a couple weeks ago and found out I could get an HD DVR for $99 BUT the CSR tipped me that if I still didn't have over a year left on my commitment she might have been able to do it for FREE.

So make sure your commitment is correct ANY time you do ANYTHING involving hardware replacements!!!

11. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Sage advice........ :)

12. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    What if you have to cancel your account and you know you are not under commitment but they say you are? Better to have it correct in the first place.

13. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Not always, have not had a commitment on my account since 2003, account in good standing, always paided two days after the bill hits the web. Never had any offers. Maybe it is becasue every device I have on the account is verified owned

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Waiting until there's a bigger problem is a mistake. DirecTV usually grabs the money from a credit card, bank account immediately and then requires the customer to fight to get it back. If there is no way to grab the funds they will turn it over to a collection agency.

Check your date with DirecTV and anytime you have any transaction with them check it again. On this issue they have shown time and time again they can't be trusted to do it correctly.

15. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I agree with Ken S here, it could bite you in the end.
    but above and beyond that, even if you plan on staying, the erroneous account commitments need to be found, recorded, and fixed.

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Showtime's new seasons will be starting this month. Dexter, etc.

17. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I've never had an issue with my commitments and have received many deals while under commitment. Since I have no plans to leave, it really doesn't bother me.

To each their own - if you want to call and spend however long on the phone just to check your commitment status, so be it. I have better things to do with my time.

BTW, if I ever were to cancel - I'd call first to get my ducks in a row, then cancel, not cancel and hope all is well.......plus, you can always suspend your account while you straighten things out pending cancellation.

18. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Unfortunately, D* doesn't seem to have any way to correct an invalid date. I ran into this just a week ago.

Earlier this year our locals were moved from the 72.5 sat (MPEG2) to MPEG4. That meant our of our receivers, a DirecTivo, could no longer get the locals. D* replaced it with an R22. Since that's a DVR (as was the DirecTivo) they extended my commitment by 2 years. As the replacement was involuntary, due to changes by D*, it shouldn't have impacted the commitment date.

I didn't discover this until last week while dealing with another matter. The front line CSR admitted the extension was wrong but said she couldn't change the date, she could only make notes on my account. The other matter eventually escalated and I got a call from the office of the President. They were able to solve the first problem but they also said they couldn't change the actual date but could only make more notes about it on my account.

That's as high up the food chain as most people can go. If they can't change the date then it doesn't appear that anyone can.

As for why it matters to me, I've been with D* for 10+ years and have no intention of leaving. However, to get discounts on new equipment or be able to lobby for freebies you need to be out of contract or nearly so. Also the future is unknown and for some reason I may need to cut the cord. If that happens I don't want to have to worry about an invalid and expensive ETF.

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    Of course there is, they just won't. I had a 2yr commitment fully removed last October by the the OOP. Can anyone really believe that a company as large as DirecTV can't change something as simple as a date in their system when it is entered in error? They must really take customers for fools. They screw up, they should fix it yet they get away with all the BS excuses.

The fact that "we're not leaving anyway" makes absolutely no difference.

20. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Or you didn't qualify and the CSR gave you a reason that you would accept because of how other industry's work and is logical.