1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competing Direct TV mags??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bbiedny, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1 of 16
    bbiedny

bbiedny New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    :confused: We just got Direct TV installed in my house for 6 TV’s. My Mom lives upstairs and while she loves all the channels she is old school and would like some sort of magazine (a la TV guide) to assist her in choosing what to watch. It seems that there are two choices (Am I right about this?) they are “Access Direct TV” – This one seems to be published by Direct TV itself, and “Satellite Direct”.
    I would appreciate any input on preferences, I would hate to subscribe to one only to find out the other is preferred, I went to books a million and Border locally and neither retailer has either magazine to look at so there was no help there. Thanks in advance.
    :confused:

2. Oct 6, 2008 #2 of 16
    Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    :welcome_s to the forums.
    Access DirecTV is the official magazine from the company.Personally speaking,I have never subscribed to it,but it is from DirecTV.
    My sister is a DirecTV subscriber too.She subscribes to the Access DirecTV magazine and likes it.
    I have heard of Satellite Direct,but don't know anything about it.
    If you want to subscribe to Access DirecTV,you can go to channel 106 and order via your remote control,or if you have an online account with DirecTV,you should be able to subscribe to the magazine via that route.
    If neither one of those choices are an option,I imagine you could call DirecTV and subscribe to the magazine that way.
    Hope the info helps. :)

3. Oct 6, 2008 #3 of 16
    ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    The monthly magazines are worthless in my opinion because of their printing schedule. I find the weekly TV Guide very good at listing the more popular channels. Try their website for the best rate. I currently get it for 50 cents a copy.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #4 of 16
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I had Access when I watched a lot of movies, and it is very good for that.

It allows you to plan your whole month's recording, something that is not very convenient to do without a monthly magazine. And you can take it to any room in the house...

Access has a separate section where it describes most of the movies in alphabetical order. Very nice for movie fans. I don't know about the other magazine...I think I subscribed to its predecessor many years ago, but I'm sure it has changed.

5. Oct 6, 2008 #5 of 16
    levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    Never subscribed to the Directv Access guide so I can't offer an opinion about that publication. I did subscribe to Orbit for awhile. It was riddled with channel errors. I brought these errors to the attention of the publisher and they didn't care. Five months later the errors were still there, no change, so I would not recommed it, period. The Directv onscreen guide is the best...teach mom how to use it :) ...I know, probably easier said than done, right?

6. Oct 6, 2008 #6 of 16
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I remember years ago getting a D*-specific version of TV Guide. I think it was back when USSB was around. It was useful, but now that we have DVR’s with 14-day guides and search capabilities, it’s no so important. I do miss the crossword puzzle, but I guess I could get that in the Game Lounge. :)

7. Oct 6, 2008 #7 of 16
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, TV Guide had a DirecTV edition right up until they changed size to tabloid and got rid of all local editions.

I like Access for its news and features and some stuff but for planning TV watching, not so much. But it is probably the best out there. It does a lousy job on network TV, which most people wind up watching anyway.

8. Oct 6, 2008 #8 of 16
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Entertainment Weekly is decent to get heads up on new/popular/behind the scenes articles on shows/movies/dvds/books.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #9 of 16
    FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Anyone that wants to try Access, I suggest you call Direct TV. My wife wanted it so I called & they gave me a year for free.

10. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Orbit (actually, Satellite Orbit) is for C-band (BUD), Dish and 4DTV. The same company publishes Satellite Direct.

11. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    Those are both still around? I haven't seen either one in about 10 or 12 years. I remember when Orbit was in all the supermarkets. My parents had the free Satellite Direct trial when they first got D*, back in 1996. My brother and his wife had an Orbit subscription back then. Their BUD and their marriage are both long gone. :rolleyes:

12. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Yes they are:
    http://www.orbitmagazine.com/
    http://www.directmagazine.com/

BTW, no relation to either magazine, just Googled them last night.

13. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    No OnSat?
    :D

14. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    There is also a website www.zap2it.com that supplies the free online quide if you have a media center PC or Tivo. If you go to there website, you can set up you service provider, zip, etc and it will give you an free online guide custumized for your service.

15. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I used to get Satellite Direct back in 1998. Good magazine that had quite a bit of good technical info that the D* produced magazine lacked. This was way back when before we had dbstalk.com.

16. spiderman865

spiderman865 AllStar

Apr 12, 2007