1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely OT, but I need to share

Discussion in 'The OT' started by WERA689, Nov 23, 2008.

1. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    As some of you know, I have been caring for a 17 year old cat with diabetes that I have had since he was a kitten in '91. I found him at Memphis Motorsports Park that year while I was racing there. My then girlfriend and I tried to feed several wandering kittens that were there, and she had made pork chops and gravy for dinner that night. I cut up the pork, and put a plate on the ground, and this orange tabby just walked into the middle of the plate, up to his ankles in gravy, and ate his way out from the center! All the while pausing to hiss away any other kittens with designs on 'his' food.
    From then on, he just wanted to be near me. He would go nowhere in the truck but my lap for the entire 8 hour drive back to Atlanta.
    Over the years, he showed himself to be a truly amazing animal; getting along with everyone and every animal that came along...my old roommate's Husky, and the other 2 cats I acquired when my best friend passed away 6 years ago. He was affectionate--more than most cats; he just had a 'quiet strength and confidence' tempered with a love and a trust for me that I've never encountered before in any animal. He fought the diabetes and the problems associated it for almost 3 years, with a strength and resiliency that amazed me, and his vet!
    Well, today, he succumbed to it. When I got home from dinner with the DBSTalk crew in Atlanta last night, he seemed a little listless, but not enough to cause undue concern. But this morning when I woke up, he was in pretty bad shape. He couldn't remain standing, and fell over several times. I tried to treat him at home, with some glucose that the vet gave me to have on hand for just such emergencies. But, after 4 hours, he just wasn't getting much better...a little, but not much. So I loaded him in the car and took off for the Emergency Clinic, where he's been twice before for this. Within an hour, they called me back and told me that there was nothing they could do to even make him comfortable, he was so sick from kidney failure.
    So, I went back, crying like a little girl, visited with him for a few more minutes, thanked him for being such a good friend, and held him in my arms while the vet administered the drugs to put him down. Tomorrow, I will bury him in the back yard, next to a 15 year old cat that passed from natural causes 10 years ago.
    Thanks for letting me put this out here. I was thinking of Strejek's avatar caption, and thought you all wouldn't mind too much.
    I will miss my buddy Kawie, very much. I've known this day was coming eventually, but it was still a devastating loss to me. Thanks again for letting me release a little here.

2. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm sorry. I know how rough it is to lose a pet.

3. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    So sorry to hear about your loss. It's definitely tough losing a pet who has been with you for so long.

4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You have my deepest sympathies on your loss. I have had to put a cat down myself so I can completely understand your feelings. That was a wonderful story of his life and I thank you for sharing.

RIP Kawie

5. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Wow. That truly sucks that you had to go home and go through that. I'm sorry for your loss man. :(

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Your story really touched my heart & made me remember my 19 year old cat we had to do the same thing to this Summer. Your buddy Kawie & my lil Mugsy are both better off & in our memories.

7. BIG_RED13

BIG_RED13 Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    That sadest thing about this is that Wera and I had just discussed that cat that night I was talking to him about cats I am soooo sorry wera

8. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Wera my friend. I am truly sorry for your loss. You were justt alking about him last night. It is very painfil to lose a pet or friend like that.

9. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    WERA... sorry to hear about your loss buddy...

And I'm glad you have such great memories to hold onto! :)

10. WERA689

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Thank you all so much. Your replies and RIP's are so very much appreciated.
    These are recent cellphone pics of Kawie...a couple in my lap...where he loved to be.

Attached Files:

11. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    We've had cats here for many years and have put down some due to age and sickness. I put down my 20 year old Tortoise-shell sweetie whom I had since college 6 years ago. She had cancer and it was getting worse and she was deteriorating daily. It was hard even though I knew it was best.

But the hardest one was the quickest and most sudden one. My daughter's five-year old black female cat died of sudden feline death syndrome one evening last year. She was on her pad asleep, and then she made a noise and got up and tried to jump down to the floor. She more fell than jumped, hit the floor with a thud and twitched and died right there, at my daughter's feet. My daughter came unglued and was in hysterics for hours, even after the pet emergency clinic pronounced the cat dead and prepped her for the pet crematory people. My daughter has since gotten a kitten and is happy again. And the kitten returns us back to four cats again, living under our roof.

12. WERA689

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    I lost an adorable kitten to the same exact experience back in the '80's. Most confounding thing I've ever seen.
    As it happens, I had just adopted a kitten on Friday, while Kawie was in for his blood sugar check. This kitten had been tossed from a car on the interstate, and lost part of its' left ear and suffered (possibly permanent) damage to its' right eye. It's so young, we can't quite tell what sex it is yet! This one was brought into the vets office the week before, again while Kawie was there for his routine glucose check. I volunteered to take it in if the girl who brought it in didn't or couldn't keep it.
    So, "Roadrash" arrived as Kawie was preparing to leave. Makes ya think, doesn't it?

13. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! My 15-1/2 year old black & white suffered from kidney failure and we had to let her go three years ago, and I still think of her and miss her almost every day. I raised her from a kitten and she was the only constant in my life for that entire time. It's hard when you have to do them the final kindness, but at least his suffering is over.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I know firsthand that losing a pet is only slightly less than losing a family member.

Hang in there.

15. WERA689

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Thanks, Lefty. Kawie was all that and more for me. I'm very grateful to have had him for 17 years, and feel quite lucky that he chose me that day.

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I'm so sorry to hear this, but at least he was loved and you were with him. Your story brought a tear to my eye because both our cats are 12 yrs old and while healthy I know the time is coming in a few years and it will be really hard to let them go.

Good luck with your new kitty, hopefully he'll be as good a friend.

17. WERA689

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Thank you, Scott. I've never done anything harder than what I did today. But I wanted him to be where I knew he felt safe and secure when he went. He knew how much I loved him, of that there is NO doubt.

As for Roadrash, we're getting off to a very good start so far. He (or she) has already proven to be just as much of a fighter as Kawie was. It sickens me that some "human being" could do that to an animal, particularly when there are so many ways to get them to people who will love them and care for them rather than see them killed or maimed. As I often say: "the more people I meet, the more I love my cat." Recent company excepted, of course.:sure:

18. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    Speaking of rescues, our eldest (14 years old, we think) came to us from a couple of friends who found her when she was about 8-10 weeks, maybe a bit older, mewing in the middle of a K-mart parking lot. After having cats that we've rescued and adopted and all the medical situations that happen with them (ear mites, etc), I was amazed and disgusted at the same time to find the cat in remarkably great shape, fur all soft and clean and smelling of perfume. Amazed that we got her before she did get the mites, etc., but also disgusted that anyone would just abandon a kitten. Granted, she wasn't thrown on the interstate, but she was abandoned.

Well, we do know that her time is coming now that she is (about) 14. Big cat now, and vet thinks she may be going into diabetes although not sure at this stage.

19. DFDureiko

DFDureiko Godfather

Feb 20, 2006
    You have our sympathies, we just lost Boris this summer.
    We now have Stanley and Lilly,
    Lilly is most helpful, she "antiques" the woodwork for us:)

20. WERA689

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Feline diabetes is not an automatic death sentence...Kawie lived with it for I don't know how long before it was discovered. And 3 more years after that. You do have to take extra care with them, special diet, insulin, glucose monitoring, etc. Kawie helped a lot because he trusted me so much--could have been like cat herding were it not for his unflappable nature! And his kidney failure could have just as easily been a result of his age alone, rather than the diabetes. I have read about many cats that have lived long, full lives with well managed care. Keep her as long as you can, take the best care of her that you can, and try to be there for her when she's ready to go. I know I did everything I could for Kawie, and I also KNOW that he was aware of it and appreciated it. He always found a way to let me know that.