1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely wild idea about 148

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mark Holtz, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 5, 2003 #1 of 10
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Let me throw this out as a completely wild idea...

At the moment, additional local stations, International programming, and HDTV programming come off the 61.5/148 birds. This programming will eventually be migrated to 105/121, although this will take at least a year or so.

This leaves us with a couple of possibilities from most likely to least likely:
    * Additional west coast markets served by 148.
    * West coast feeds of certain channels.
    * Mirror of certain channels carried on 110 for Alaska/Hawaiian customers.

What do you guys think? DirecTV could purchase the 157 slot and do the same thing.

As for 61.5, it appears that the transponders are spoken for due to Sky Angel, east coast locals, and Voom service.

2. Oct 5, 2003 #2 of 10
    Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Mark,

While it is true that the internationals will be migrated to the 121 slot and the HD to 105, DISH has said nothing (that I know of) about moving the (additional) locals that are on 61.5 and 148 to the 105 satellite. That is purely an internet rumor that has no basis in fact. I have discussed it with someone that I know at DISH and he didn't know of any plans to do that either.

For a lot of customers it would be VERY expensive to do that (either if DISH or the customer pays). For example, only one of my local channels comes from 61.5. If DISH would move it to 105 I would have to get a SuperDish and would have to replace one of my receivers (the older receivers will not work with superdish and the FSS satellites). Also, since I am a (lifetime) Sky Angel customer I still would need the 61.5 dish and that would require that I get a DP44+ switch and I think a new (DishPro) LNB on the 61.5 dish.

It would make more sense for DISH to move the 61.5 and 148 locals to the 110 slot for customers that get their locals from 110 and to put all the NEW local markets on 105. They will have some additional space on 110 when they move the HD programming from 110 to 105 next year.

3. Oct 5, 2003 #3 of 10
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Anything short of a satellite failure is not likely to cause locals to move off of 61.5. HDTV will be migrating ever so slowly from 61.5 and 148. Locals are not likely to move from 148 even if a satellite does fail. I doubt that EchoStar 10 will cause much of this to happen either.

The order of the day seems to be "more channels more choices" as it has been for years. :)

The system channel count is over 1500 and climbing at a rate of about 35 a week lately.

4. Oct 5, 2003 #4 of 10
    Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Internationals are not migrating to 121, ... they d be mirrored there...
    Was mentioned at chats several times.. that current International channels subscribers.. that do not need HDTV.. - do not need to do anything... they can enjoy their internationals where they got them now.. at 61.5 and 148

5. Oct 5, 2003 #5 of 10
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I should have been a little more explicit. Why should Dish move the locals off 61.5/148 and onto SuperDish? I was mainly referring to the Internationals and HDTV programming, and remember, this was wild speculation on my part.

Going by the Lyngsat chart for 148, we have:
    TR3 - HBO HD+3 PI Channels
    TR10 - Discovery HD Theater
    TR13 - CBS West HD
    TR15 - HD PPV + 3 other channels
    TR17 - Showtime HD

Once the HD is migrated off, there would room for several SD channels, plus there are some transponders which have only 2-3 SD channels on them.

6. Oct 5, 2003 #6 of 10
    Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    I think LIL, High Def and internationals will all be migrated to superdish Rainbow Voom is trying to buy them.

E might put the very smallest LIL markets on the side slots

7. Oct 5, 2003 #7 of 10
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Bob,

You keep on spreading this info on the net all over the place....Dish WILL NEVER VOLUNTARILY SELL, LEASE, LEND, LET SLIDE, ALLOW TO BE ANNEXED, ALLOW TO BE USED OR GIVE UP the stansponders on 61.5° to ANYONE! ...most especially a direct competitor like VOOM.

What is so hard to understand about this? One business will NEVER voluntarily give the other a leg-up sometimes even if they are owned by the same group!

See ya
    Tony

8. Oct 5, 2003 #8 of 10
    Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Tony I KNOW its hard to believe but rainbow has talked to Charlie about it.

Look multiple dishes DONT SELL:(

If E could get enough $$$ for the side slots to pay for a superdish upgrade, that is more birds and infrastructure it might happen...

Businesswise a single dish alternative that would have enough carrying capacity, that is a single dish with more channels than the side slots can carry make E service more saleable.

Posters laughed at my prediction superdish would carry more channels than the DBS sotts. Note that info is confirmed.

Possible sale of 61.5 is all about the right price and sky angel details

9. Oct 5, 2003 #9 of 10
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    They MIGHT share or trade some space or something but would never give it up permanently because this space cannot be simply gained back. When its gone its GONE. This is one reason why Dish and Direct tried to merge, so they could merge their satellite space. The money they saved on operations would have made up for the cost of upgrading customer's receivers and/or systems to be able to make that possible.

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Bob,

I'm sure Rainbow has talked to Charlie about it. Was Charlie listening? Nope. Not unless Rainbow offered to sell Voom to him. Charlie will NEVER sell, lease, lend, etc any transponders to VOOM.

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF NOT ONE DISH CUSTOMER HAS A SECOND DISH. The whole idea is to keep those 11 transponders OUT of the hands of their competitor. Remember that not even a week ago Dish was STILL trying to get the two unassigned transponders at 61.5°. It was the FCC that finally said no.

Only last week, Dish added yet another local channel to 61.5° (Memphis locals).

And Sky Angel IS NOT LEAVING THAT SPOT since they have international plans from that location AND they have 7 years to go on their deal with Dish at 61.5 NO MATTER WHAT!

I may be eating my words in 6 months, but I am confindent it will NOT happen.

See ya
    Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.