1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Gurus - I need help!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Lamutt, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    My XP pro computer has crashed hard. I was getting a message on boot saying my \windows\system32\config\system file was corrupt or missing.

I tried booting from the XP cd to do a repair, but the repair option doesn't show up as an option - the only option that shows up is to do a clean install.

I tried replacing the boot files from the \windows\repair directory using the recovery console after booting from the CD, but those files just cause XP to hang at the welcome screen.

First, is there anything else I can do to repair this install? If not, does anyone know how I can use the recovery console to save the email I have stored in outlook express before doing a clean install? There's some email that I really, really don't want to lose.

Any help here on Christmas day would be greatly appreciated!

2. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Mark- I did a save of the e-mail files once for Outlook Express. They are locasted in the:
    C:\Documents and settings\(YOUR user name folder)\Local settings\Application Data\ Identities\
    {A47FC etc. etc.}\ MIcrosoft\ Outlook Express\ Here they are, tons of them!

What I did was to grab the Outlook Express folder and copy it to another computer with Outlook Express loaded in win XP. It replaced the small file collection that was there. Then the next time I launched the Outlook Express all the e-mail and folder structure was loaded just as it was on my older computer.

I no longer use Outlook Express and have switched to Outlook2000 because it supports briefcase updating that I need when I travel. Although I did use the above process manually for the last 2 years.

Now I have to tell you that if you access this folder in DOS, you will have your hands full trying to copy all those files over but it may be worth it to you.

tsk tsk tsk! Now you know why I was so concerned about getting my Ghost or any imaging to work. I have a clone drive now for all of my computers sitting inside each case. I have this work station that is a win2000 with a Ghost drive resident as a D: drive so I can ghost update it often!

3. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Yup...shame on me indeed. I'm back up partially running temporarily here - did a clean XP install on another disk that I put into this computer, and am now getting ready to attempt to get the OE files off of the other drive into a safe place before I blow it away and do the clean reinstall on it.

I've been very good at ghosting my drives when I tweak something - new drivers or the like, but not to do everyday backups of important stuff...that's definitely going to change now, that's for sure.

4. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Don, thanks for the OE information. It worked perfectly, and hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll be back up and running at full strength. Everything's backed up now that I need to keep, so tomorrow will be complete reinstall day on the drive that serves as my boot drive.

I have a suspicion that the root cause of my problem here is my power supply. I've got a generic 400W power supply in this computer driving a 100GB drive, 2x120GB (in Raid 0) drive, 250GB drive, 52x CDRW drive, a hipix card, sound card, ATI 9000 pro video card, raid card, and NIC. The instability started happening when I swapped out my old 16x CDRW with the 52x and added the 250GB drive. I'm thinking I'm pushing the limits of the no-name POS PS and I'll be better off getting a better one for this box.

5. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Mark- I have been using a product called Nova Disk that does automated data backups across my Lan. This may be just what you need to do daily backups for the data. Even they have an image systyem too but I haven't really looked into theirs. I don't think their image program is much different than the others as they all seem to require a dos operation. I have used Nova for quick recovery of data files that get corrupted and at least my recovered file is only a day old.

6. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Mark, it may be cheaper for you to use multiple power supplies. In my video editng computer I have lots of drives and have one PS for the computer and 3 IDE drives. another PS for the wide scsi chain and another PS for the narrow SCSI chain.

7. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, I'm now just about at the end of my saga with this one. Replaced the old PS with a new Fortron 400W one that is working very well. But, soon after the new PS went in, the problems started cropping up again. A couple of days of testing determined that one of my 256MB SDRAM chips got taken out by the faulty PS, so I'm currently limping along on 128MB of memory on that XP box until the new memory gets here later this week.