1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Names

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by xIsamuTM, Jan 19, 2009.

1. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    Am I the only one who names their computers/receivers/cars/etc.? If not, what names have you come up with for your toys? Is there a story behind them?

2. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Nah.

My cat's name: Kittie

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    To make this more interesting maybe significant others, wives, and girls friends should be included:)

4. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Maybe it's my IT background, but all my systems have names. At home they are orchid-based names with the firewall being the top-level orchidacea and the desktops being varietal names such as lycaste and cymbidium.......

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I never thought of personalizing my stuff* and junk by naming them.

I just refer them (in chronological order) as:

- my first pc I gave to my former girlfriend
    - the other pc I gave to my other former gf
    - the old laptop I gave to my son who pawned it
    - the old laptop with the crashed HDD collecting dust
    - the old laptop that still works
    - the new wireless laptop

Perhaps I should start naming my stuff :shrug:

*The difference between stuff and junk?

6. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    I called my first car Christine. Movie buffs know why.

7. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I wouldn't name a computer any more than I would name a toaster or a can opener.

8. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    but how many people develop an emotional attachment to a can opener vs. one with their car or tivo?

9. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    toy1,2,3,4 for computers..
    Dvrs by location..

10. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Cari, Robert, Tokio, CoriBright, Twinkle, Starlight and Samantha are the computers. The car is ToyBoy (Toyota Sequoia) and the RV is BigBoy.

The dogs are Hollie and Misty, the cats are Samantha, Goldilocks and Sebastian. The SSID on the router is Sebastian, the two wireless access points are Goldilocks1 and Goldilocks2, so we still have two spare names. Then again, we have 9 or 10 motorcycles (husband's toys and works in progress) and 2 quads, both nameless!

Oh the lawnmower is named Matilda and the vacuum cleaner is named Doris (it's a Dyson).

11. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Hmm...

At work I've had to name computers on a network since way back in 1980. At home, I didn't start doing it until I bought a 2nd computer and got a "network in a box" to lash them together (using a shared dial-up on one of the PCs for internet access).

Let's see... There was "Edsel", the old, slow PC; "Frankenstein" (the one I built from parts); "Serenity" replaced Edsel and went with my wife when she moved out. "Apollo" became my main desktop PC. "Bacchus" was then bought for the kids. I bought a laptop (Mercury) and when that died after 5 years I replaced it with an HP laptop (Hermes). I also have a network drive "Oracle".

I'm eventually building a home-theater PC that will be named "Hollywood".

12. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    you named your kids computer after the god of wine?

13. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Of course not ... All of my computers "require" a name - they're all UNIX-based. (including my Macs!)

So, at home, I've got a Simpsons theme going ...

Quimby - my G5 - large and in charge!
    Wiggum - my PowerBook - second in command.
    KwikEMart - my G4 tower that I was using as a Media Server

so on and so forth ...

At work, I had a cartoon theme going on. Everything from Frostbitefalls (home of Rocky & Bullwinkle) to Dino (Flintstones' dog) was in play.

One of the hardest things for me about setting up a new computer is naming it ... the name needs to be appropriate.

14. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    so do you have a peabody and sherman? And I thought anime-themed computer names was bad...

15. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Of course.. and a bullwinkle and a "flying-squirrel" too (rocky was already used).

The backup server at one point was "waybackmachine".

My favorite though, was one of the old Sun E10k systems. We named the entire machine "Thirdbase", and the three partitions in it "who" "what" and "idontknow".

That was a riot - it was hysterical!

16. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    +10 for that. the Magi computers were named based on the users. My was/is Malchior (the scientist,) My ex's computer was Balthasar (The mother) and Richards was Caspar (the "woman" but the reason it became his computer's designation was because Caspar betrayed the other computers and me by moving to TX)

17. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    [​IMG]
    iMac owners all own Hal

18. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    Oh, good morning, HAL.

19. LORETTA

LORETTA Cool Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Melissa is my corvette! Named for a famous computer virus, she is most definitely a virus that cannot be removed!

20. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    All of my computers have been named after famous movie Robots or robot related characters.

Currently:
    Gort
    Robby
    Klaatu

Larry