1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflicts with Locked Event

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by mdewitt, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mdewitt

mdewitt AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    On my ViP622 I have locked out all of the 9000 numbered channels because they are all mapped down to also appear in the lower numbers. None of the events in the schedule show that they are "Locked Events" since my recordings are scheduled to use the lower channel numbers and not the 9000s. If I try to restore an event that is in a priority conflict with another, the Restore Conflict screen comes up and says that there is a conflict with a "Locked Event" so I cannot see what event I'm skipping in order to do the restore.

My best guess is that even though the event is scheduled to record on the lower numbered channel, that is not locked, the guide sees it as the mapped down 9000 channel in disguise and says that it is locked.

This has been going on forever and I searched the forum and cannot find a definite answer. Can anyone confirm my suspicion? If so, would you consider this a bug or just a consequence of locking out mapped channels?

I hope that makes sense.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I think I understand what you are saying... and I actually seem to remember seeing times when channels I didn't even have were showing up in search results... so I suspect the mechanism for conflict resolution is also still seeing locked/hidden channels too.

The glitch in the firmware not withstanding... Is there a reason to lock out the 9000 channels? I get why people lock out channels they don't want to watch... but in your case it seems like you aren't locking out channels you don't watch, but rather are just locking out the 9000 numbers.

A better way to effect this, to me, would be making your own favorites list and not adding anything but the mapdown channels to it... that way you accomplish the result of not seeing the 9000 channels and don't compete with the conflict resolution glitch that still sees the locked duplicates.

3. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Good advice. That is really the function of the favorites list. I have one favorite that has all the channels that I would possibly watch, leaving out the SD versions, and the reduntant ones, and no music channels such as Sirius. I also use this as a quick way to see if there are any new channels added.
    Then I have one for just the most watched channels especially that I would watch at night, leaving out the likes of MTV, any PI channels (except Link) etc... That makes a very manageable list when I want a snapshot of what is on that I would most likely watch.
    I also have a favorites for only movie channels.

4. mdewitt

mdewitt AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    I do have favorites lists for everything so unlocking the channels really would not be an issue. My main reason for locking out the 9000 channels is that I like the All HD list but you cannot modify it, so the channels show twice if they are mapped down. As you said, the All HD list is a nice way to see if new HD channels are added but are not in your favs lists.

I'll have to play around with it and see if the locked event thing is related to having the duplicate 9000 channel locked out or because I also have the corresponding SD channel locked out.

Thanks!

5. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I lock out duplicate, non subscribed and infomercial channels and have noticed the same Locked event issue.

I wish the receiver would:

* automatically hide the duplicate channels.
    * give you an option to automatically hide the SD channels when an HD channel exists.
    * An option in each favorites list to automatically hide channels you aren't authorized to receive. That way, I wouldn't have to adjust my favorites every time we get free previews (and sometimes I miss previews because of this).

6. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I did some research for you on the receivers we have available and discovered that the 922 receiver does allow the first two points you gave. In the Settings then Guide Display you can choose it to show HD. It will hide the SD channels if an HD one is available. As for on other receivers, unsure at this time if they will release it, but I will bring it up as it seems like an awesome feature.

As for the last point; I will bring it up to them also, but the customizable favorites list is to add specific channels to it, the all sub category hides things not subscribed to. I will try to push forward some way of sorting that, until then CH 102 is always available for free previews to see what's playing for the month.

7. koralis

koralis Godfather

Aug 10, 2005
    Speaking of new-timer conflicts... it sould be nice if they actually showed you the conflicting programs and allowed you pick the actual programs instead of just "resolve by priority", etc.

8. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    +1

9. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You can see conflicts through Dish remote access or by pressing DVR button 3 times and showing skipped recordings.

10. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes, but not until you decide to skip or keep the previously scheduled event without benefit of knowing what that event is.